Washington, District of Columbia 2021-07-16 18:51:44 –
July 16, 2021
According to July 15, the University of Washington’s 20 scientists and engineers are one of 38 new members elected to the Washington Academy of Sciences in 2021. Announcement.. The new members have been selected for “a record of outstanding scientific and technical achievements and a willingness to work on behalf of the Academy to bring about the best science available to tackle problems in Washington State.” It was.
The current Academy members have selected 29 new members. By attending one of the national academy, nine more people were elected.
The new UW members elected by current Academy members are:
- Joel Baker, Professor and Chair of Environmental Sciences at Tacoma Port, Director of UW Tacoma, Puget Sound Institute Science director with Urban Waters Center, “For basic research on the environmental fate, behavior and toxicity of PCBs.”
- Sapuna Cherian, Professor of Psychology, “Contribution to Studies on Racial and Gender Inequality Influencing Education, Government, and Business Practices” and “Shifting the Explanation of Inequality from Personal Defects, Social Stereo To find out how types and structures cause inequality. “
- Brandico Silt, Professor of Chemistry and member faculty Clean Energy Research Institute, “For leadership in innovative synthesis and chemical modification of nanoscale materials for application to luminescence and catalysis.”
- Christie shrimp, Professor of Global Health and Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, Health and Global Environment Center, “For work on the health impacts of climate change, forecasting climate impacts, adapting to climate change, and climate policy to protect health.”
- Lisa GraumrichProfessor Mary Rheard Wood of the Faculty of Environmental and Forestry Sciences and Honorary Dean of the Faculty of Environmental Studies said, “Academic research to promote and maintain basic research and innovative research and education initiatives in the region’s paleoenvironmental history. For sustainable excellence in leadership. ” Graumlich too President-elect of the American Geophysical Union..
- Doctor Jonathan Himmel Fab, Joseph W. Eschbach Donated Kidney Research Committee Chair and Co-Director Dialysis Innovation Center, “For pioneering contributions and outstanding achievements in the development of new wearable artificial kidneys, and for numerous researcher-led clinical trials and multicenter collaborations.”
- Daniel Jaffe“The global transport of air pollutants from energy production, mountain fires and other sources, and the science that informed the public,” said a professor of environmental chemistry and chair of the Department of Physical Sciences at the University of Washington, Bossel. For leadership in monitoring and understanding of communications and services. Enhanced public policy. “
- Cheryl Kaiser, Professor and Chair of Psychology, “For Contributions to Show How Psychology Can Provide Information on Long-standing Problems on Race and Sexism” and “Correct Social Inequality Based on Evidence” For research that has a profound impact on the law and social efforts for “programs and actions.” “
- Munilla Haril, Leon C. Johnson, Professor of Chemistry, Member Faculty Institute of Molecular Engineering Chair of the Chemistry Division, “To develop new spectroscopic tools for measuring energy flow in molecules and materials with high spatial and temporal resolution.”
- Victoria Sae Yamamoto, Professor of Astronomy, ” Virtual Planet Research Institute Leading decades of development of the interdisciplinary modeling framework and community needed to establish the science of exoplanet astrobiology, “the next generation of interdisciplinary scientists looking for life beyond the earth” To train. “
- Christie Morgansen, Professor and Chair of Aerospace Engineering, “For Leadership and Significant Advances in Nonlinear Techniques for Integrated Sensing and Control in Engineering, Biologically Inspired Biological Flight Systems” and “Interdisciplinary For leadership in aerospace labor development. “
- Arshakim Nelson, Associate Professor of Chemistry and faculty members of the Institute of Molecular Engineering and Science, “Toward the Development of Synthetic Polymers and Nanomaterials for Advanced Manufacturing with Applications in Self-Assembly and Sustainability, Medicine and Microelectronics” For the extraordinary contribution of. “
- Doctor Twen Shen, Vice Dean of Medical Technology Innovation, Faculty of Engineering and School of Medicine, Graham and Brenda Siddall Endowed Course in Corneal Research, and Medical Director of UW Eye Institute, “Developed and provided first-class clinical treatment for severe cornea. Hundreds of people are blind to establishing the world’s best artificial corneal program in Washington and leading collaborative research to transform innovative engineering technologies into creative clinical solutions. “
- Doctor Wesley Van Voorhis, Professor of Medicine and Director Emerging and Reemerging Infectious Diseases Center“Through his work as an infectious disease physician and immunologist, he is globally recognized as an authority on the development of drugs and vaccines for viral and parasitic diseases.”
- Doctor Monica Vavilara, Professor of Pediatrics and Anesthesiology and Analgesics, and Director Harbor View Injury Prevention Research Center, “Outstanding Leadership in Pediatric Anesthesia and Care for Children with Traumatic Brain Injury” and “Internationally Recognized Expertise in Traumatic Brain Injury, and Outstanding Mentors and Foresight for the Last Decade Direction of Harbor View Injury Prevention Research Center as a leader. “
The UW members who attend the Washington State Academy of Sciences for being elected to one of the National Academy of Sciences are:
- Patrick Heagerty, Professor of Biostatistics, “For the development of new statistical models of longitudinal data to better diagnose diseases, track their trajectories and predict their outcomes” and “Dynamic predictors of them A randomized controlled trial that revolutionized the method of discrimination and calibration. ”Heagerty was elected to the National Academy of Medicine in 2021.
- Anna CarlinBill and Melinda Gates, Chairman of Computer Science and Engineering, “For the basic contributions to computer system and internet mathematics, and algorithms, especially online algorithm design and probabilistic analysis, and algorithm mechanism design. Game Theory. ”Carlin was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 2021.
- Randall Rubeck, Professor Emeritus of Applied Mathematics and Data Science Fellow eScience Institute, “Inventing key algorithms of hyperbolic conservation law and converting them into powerful numerical techniques”, “A wide range of everyday application codes such as risk assessment due to tsunamis and other geophysical phenomena” To create a Clawpack package that supports. ” LeVeque was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 2021.
- Julie Serriot, Researchers at the Basic Life Sciences and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Benjamin D. Hall Endowed Course, “To Promote Physical Understanding of Cellular Movement and Proliferation of Animals and Bacteria” and “How Pathogens Occur To discover ” Listeria Learn how actin polymerization is used to move within human cells and crawling animal cells regulate the dynamics of actomyosin and the mechanical basis of bacterial size control and daughter cell isolation. Theriot was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 2021.
- Rachel won, Professor and Chair of Biological Structure, “To elucidate the interaction of activity-dependent and independent mechanisms leading to the cell transformation of neurons patterning dendrites and the construction of stereotyped circuits” and ” An elegant combination of applications for revelations on the basic principles of neuronal development In vivo Vertebrate retina imaging, physiology, hyperfine structure, genetics. Wong was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 2021..
New members of the Washington Academy of Sciences will be introduced at a conference in September.
tag: Arshakim Nelson •• Anna Carlin •• Brandico Silt •• Dialysis Innovation Center •• Emerging and Reemerging Infectious Diseases Center •• Health and Global Environment Center •• Urban Waters Center •• Cheryl Kaiser •• Clean Energy Research Institute •• College of Liberal Arts •• Faculty of Engineering •• Environmental University •• Dan Jaffe •• Department of Aerospace Engineering •• Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine •• Department of Applied Mathematics •• Department of Astronomy •• Department of Biological Structure •• Department of Biology •• Department of Biostatistics •• Department of Chemistry •• Faculty of Environment and Occupational Health Science •• Department of Global Health •• School of medicine •• Ophthalmology •• Pediatrics •• Department of Psychology •• eScience Institute •• Harbor View Injury Prevention Research Center •• Joel Baker •• Jonathan Himmel Fab •• Julie Serriot •• Christie Morgansen •• Christie shrimp •• Lisa Graumrich •• Institute for Molecular Engineering Science •• Monica Vavilara •• Munilla Haril •• Patrick Heagerty •• Paul G. Allen Computer Science & Engineering School •• Puget Sound Institute •• Rachel won •• Randy Rubeck •• Sapuna Cherian •• Faculty of Environmental Forestry Science •• School of medicine •• Faculty of Public Health •• Twen Shen •• University of Washington Bothell •• UW Eye Institute •• UW Tacoma •• Victoria Meadows •• Virtual Planet Research Institute •• Washington State University of Science •• Wesley Van Voorhis
20 UW researchers elected to the Washington State Academy of Sciences for 2021 Source link 20 UW researchers elected to the Washington State Academy of Sciences for 2021