Oklahoma City

A month ago, a large gas explosion shook Piedmont – Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 2020-10-16 23:34:13 –

KFOR, Oklahoma – Massive gas explosions on Waterloo Road and Piemont Road left a 40-foot crater on September 16, a month ago.

After the 12-inch pipe ruptured, the sky burned orange and KFOR’s telephone line was unhooked. He was not injured, but a fireball incinerated a nearby field and shut down power lines.

The scene looks very different than it was a month ago. Roads are being repaved in the area and are working on grass growth. People living near the place where the explosion happened said they remember it all well.

“I’ve never seen anything like that in my life,” said Grant Christensen, whose family lives near the blast site. “It was at least 150 feet high.”

The chaotic scene that caused the fiery hell is now calm and cool. The city of Piedmont said the area was repaired within a few days by DCP Midstream, a Denver-based company that owns the pipeline.

“DCP experienced the release of a natural gas pipeline at King Fisher Pipe,” said a DCP Midstream official at the time.

The company later told KFOR that the 12-inch high-voltage line ruptured as it weakened over time.

“I heard a big explosion,” Christensen said. “It sounded like thunder.”

Christensen and his family live just a few meters from the location of the blast. He said they were upset by the boom and it rattled their home.

“The biggest I’ve ever seen,” he said. “Probably rocked the house for 10 seconds, it was really scary.”

After that, a fire broke out.

“It was so bright that I couldn’t even see it for a long time. It would hurt my eyes,” Christensen said. “I could feel the heat from the back pouch.”

Multiple institutions responded to the site. No official evacuation order was issued, but the family and many others in the area made the momentary decision to leave everything behind.

“We got everything we could and booked it on the road, and it’s safe,” Christensen said.

The Christensen family escaped during the blast, leaving behind their family dog, Chester. However, Chester found a way home the next morning.

Both the Oklahoma Corporation Commission and the Department of Environmental Quality investigated the area after the explosion. With the exception of the remaining 40-foot crater, they reported no environmental ground damage or air quality concerns. But people living in the area said they were still upset.

“It happened, so who says it never happens again,” Christensen said.

There is still visible damage to utility poles and areas of poles and fences on some sites.

Latest headlines:

Source link

Back to top button