More than two months have passed since the Atlantic Ocean in 2021 Hurricane season It is expected that there will be more hurricanes and named storms than experts had previously predicted, starting on June 1st and before the end of the season on November 30th.
On Wednesday (August 4th), scientists from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) updated their forecasts for the May 20th hurricane season in an online briefing. They had already warned in May about more than usual hurricane activity. Live science previously reported, And their updates confirm the presence of atmospheric and marine conditions in favor of above-average storm activity.
One such factor is the increasing likelihood of the La Niña phenomenon, a climate pattern that pushes warm Pacific waters towards Asia and transports cold water to the surface off the west coast of North America. According to NOAA.. At the briefing, if the La Niña phenomenon is dominant and the waters around the Equatorial Pacific are cool, the Atlantic hurricane season can be more severe, said Matthew Rosenklans, who heads the seasonal hurricane forecaster at the NOAA Climate Prediction Center. rice field.
In the new outlook, NOAA predicts that there will be 15-21 named storms in the season, compared to the 13-20 storms predicted in May. Of these, 7-10 are likely to reach hurricane strength, while the May forecast estimates 6-10 hurricanes. According to Rosenklans, the number of major hurricanes expected remains unchanged, rising above Category 3, with wind speeds of at least 111 mph (178 km / h) and 3-5 storms expected.
“Given the increased predictions of named storms and hurricanes, there are now 65% more likely than normal seasons and 25% more likely to be near normal seasons, with less than normal seasons. The chance is 10%. “He added. However, the Atlantic Ocean surface temperature is slightly lower than this time last year, so this hurricane season is likely to be less active than in 2020, Rosenclans said.
The 2021 hurricane season is still in its infancy, but it has already set a new record. So far, five named storms have occurred, and the fifth Elsa has become a hurricane. Elsa, which landed in Florida on July 7, was the first and fifth named storm in the Atlantic Ocean, according to Rosen Clans. And this season’s activity “is showing no signs of forgiveness when it peaks months ahead,” said NOAA administrator Rick Spinrad. Said in a statement.. (The peak hurricane season is from mid-August to October.)
If you live in a high-risk coastal area, how can you prepare for the hurricane season?Visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency Ready.gov website According to a NOAA statement, there is information on how to prepare your home before a hurricane strikes and how to stay safe in the event of a storm.You can also visit the National Hurricane Center Hurricanes.gov website According to NOAA, this is to track hurricane updates and warnings in the event of a storm.
“It’s time to be on the lookout for preparatory plans and potential actions,” Rosen Clans said at a briefing. “Hurricanes are not only damaging winds, but also torrential rains that lead to dangerous storm surges and floods. No matter what activity is expected, only one storm can have a devastating impact on life and the community. It doesn’t cost. “
Originally published in Live Science.
According to NOAA, this hurricane season will be even more active than previously predicted.
Source link According to NOAA, this hurricane season will be even more active than previously predicted.