Tulsa, Oklahoma 2021-03-31 10:16:05 –
- 1 quart of low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup of pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, finely diced
- 3-4 pieces of garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 bunch of asparagus, washed and cut to 1 inch (tough end trimmed and discarded)
- 1 pound bag of frozen petit green peas
- 2 tablespoons of nutrient yeast
1. Heat the stock in a medium pan over medium heat until it is boiled.
2. Heat the barley over medium heat in another pan and toast until golden or nutty.
3. Leave the barley in the pan and add the oil, onions and garlic. Fry for 3-4 minutes until the onions become translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
4. Put ¼ cup of hot stock in barley and stir. Once the liquid has been absorbed, add an additional ¼ cup of stock and stir continuously. Repeat this process until all inventory is used. Once you have added and absorbed all the stock, taste the barley to complete it. It is chewy and resistant, but should not be crunchy in the center. If the barley is not cooked to the proper concentration, you may need to add water.
5. Add asparagus and peas and stir. Cook until the asparagus turns bright green and the peas are hot.
6. Add nutritional yeast, stir and serve immediately.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere-
Barley asparagus risotto Source link Barley asparagus risotto