Florence, South Carolina 2020-08-11 19:44:02 –
TAMPA (WFLA) – Joe Biden has selected his running mate, revealing to top advisers on Tuesday the woman he will invite to join his Democratic presidential ticket, two people familiar with the matter tell CNN.
He is poised to make the announcement as early as Tuesday.
The presumptive Democratic nominee in this year’s presidential election has previously said he will choose a woman to be his running mate.
Officials would not say which of the candidates visited Biden in person, but CNN confirmed last week that Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer had flown to Delaware for a meeting. California Sen. Kamala Harris and former Obama national security adviser Susan Rice are among the others seen as the most serious contenders.
Here are some of the names that have been floated around as a potential choice for VP:
- Kamala Harris: U.S. senator from California, former presidential candidate
- Val Demings: U.S. representative from Florida, former chief of the Orlando Police Department
- Elizabeth Warren: U.S. senator from Massachusetts, former presidential candidate
- Keisha Lance Bottoms: Mayor of Atlanta, Georgia
- Susan Rice: Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations
- Michelle Lujan Grisham: Governor of New Mexico
- Tammy Duckworth: U.S. senator from Illinois, Purple Heart recipient
Earlier this week, Biden said he would make his pick for vice president in the first week of August but did not say when he would publicly announce his choice.
It is expected he will make the announcement before the Democratic National Convention begins on August 17.