Denver, Colorado 2021-05-08 10:59:07 –
By RAHIM FAIZ and Kathy Gannon, Associated Press
Kabul, Afghanistan — On Saturday, a bomb exploded near schools in the majority of Siite districts in western Kabul, killing at least 25 people, many of whom were young students, an Afghan government spokesman said. The Taliban clearly condemned the attacks on civilians and denied any liability.
According to Interior Ministry spokesman Tariq Arian, the ambulance was in a hurry to evacuate the injured from the blast site near the Sayyid al-Shada school in the Shiite majority district of Dashte Barki.
No one has claimed responsibility for the bombing, but previous, often brutal attacks in the region have been claimed by members of the Islamic State of Afghanistan.
A radical Sunni Muslim group has declared a war against the Afghan minority Shiite Muslims. Washington accused IS of a vicious attack at a maternity hospital in the same area that killed a pregnant woman and a newborn baby last year.
At Dasht-e-Barchi, an angry crowd attacked an ambulance and beat health care workers, said health ministry spokesman Ghulam Dastigar Nazari. He pleaded with the residents to allow ambulances to access the site for free.
Images disseminated on social media are said to show smoke rising above the neighborhood.
At a nearby hospital, Associated Press journalists saw at least 20 corpses lined up in corridors and rooms, with dozens of injured and victims’ families pushing through the facility.
Outside Muhammad Ali Jinna Hospital, dozens of people lined up to donate blood, and families checked the list of victims on the wall.
Both Arians and Nazaris have said that at least 50 people could be injured and the number of casualties could increase. The attack took place just as the fasting day ended.
No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, and Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told reporters in a message that only Islamic State groups may be responsible for such violent crimes. It was. Mujahid also accused Afghan intelligence of being part of the IS, but did not provide evidence.
The Taliban and the Afghan government have accused civil society workers, journalists and Afghan experts of a series of killings. IS is responsible for some of these killings, but many are not charged.
The IS had previously claimed attacks on the Shiite minority in the same area, and last year claimed two brutal attacks on educational facilities, most of which killed 50 students.
IS is deteriorating in Afghanistan, but is intensifying its attacks, especially on Shiite Muslims and female workers, according to government and US officials.
Previously, the group was responsible for the targeted killings of three female media outlets in eastern Afghanistan.
The attack will occur a few days after the remaining 2,500 to 3,500 US troops officially leave the country. It will be available by September 11th at the latest. The withdrawal is in the midst of the resurrected Taliban, which controls or controls more than half of Afghanistan.
U.S. military chief officer said Sunday that Afghan government forces will face an uncertain future and perhaps some “potentially bad consequences” for the Taliban rebels as the withdrawal accelerates in the coming weeks. It was.
Associated Press photographer Rahmat Gull in Kabul, Afghanistan contributed to this report.
Bomb kills at least 25 people near school in Afghan capital Source link Bomb kills at least 25 people near school in Afghan capital