The 7-year-old accidentally wet the entire head and torso with cement. After being burned by the cement mixture, he was taken to the emergency room. skin, According to a new report.
According to a report released on June 2, someone in the family was pouring cement mixed in as a boy playing nearby walked under a damp cement dispenser. Emergency medicine journal..
After a while, the boy felt burning pain and his skin turned red. He was taken to a medical facility where staff washed his skin with an organic substance called polyethylene glycol. He was then transferred to the Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee to assess whether the burn needed further treatment.
According to the author of Vanderbilt University, doctors then noticed that the boy had superficial burns on his head, neck and torso, or first-degree burns. They also had the cement mixture completely washed away. I also confirmed that it was not. Visible particles were still attached to his skin and hair.
Relation: 27 most bizarre medical cases
Do not leave damp cement on your skin for extended periods of time. This substance can cause severe chemical burns.
It is a complex of calcium oxide, which is the main component of cement, and when mixed with water, it becomes basic or alkaline, and the pH becomes high. According to the National Capital Poison CenterThe pH of a substance is measured on a scale of 0 to 14. Substances with low pH are acidic, and substances with high pH are alkaline. The pH of wet cement can be as high as 14, the authors say.
Touching wet cement does not cause immediate chemical burns, but if someone touches the material for extended periods of time (for example, kneeling when pouring cement), or if the material remains on the skin for extended periods of time. ,It may cause burns. The average time from exposure to moist cement to the appearance of signs of burns is 6 hours, the authors said. Due to this delay, people may not be aware that the cement caused burns.
“Wet cement is often not well recognized as a cause of alkaline burns,” the study author writes. And when it is recognized, doctors most often see this type of injury in adults working with cement. The authors said the case is unique because wet cement burns are rarely seen in children.
Treatment involves washing the skin with a large amount of water to remove moist cement, the authors said. Doctors may use other solutions such as polyethylene glycol to wash the skin. However, the authors state that there is no evidence that these are better alternatives to water. Severe burns may require surgery. In the current case, the boy’s skin was watered until the cement was completely removed. He was then evaluated by a burn specialist and determined that the boy did not require further treatment. “Fortunately, the patients involved in this case were decontaminated early enough and did not require surgical intervention,” the author writes. He was discharged from the hospital and recovered completely, they said.
Initially published in Live Science.
Boy rarely gets burned with wet cement
Source link Boy rarely gets burned with wet cement