British orthopedic surgeon looks back on the family’s COVID-19 battle – Lexington-Fayette, Kentucky

Lexington-Fayette, Kentucky 2021-03-31 21:09:59 –

Lexington, Kentucky (LEX 18) —Three months after the last member of the Johnson family was discharged after a fierce battle with COVID-19, the emotional sacrifice the virus had on the family diminished. Is not … Still in memory.

Dr. Darren Johnson is Head of Healthcare and Sports Medicine in the United Kingdom and is a team physician for British football and women’s football teams. He is frequently tested for COVID-19. He tested positive for the coronavirus a week before Thanksgiving after having a Sunday evening supper with his eldest daughter’s family.

“Looking back, it was zero,” said Dr. Johnson.

The whole family tested positive for COVID-19 the next day. Dr. Johnson remained asymptomatic for the first few days, but his 27-year-old daughter, Kelsey Johnson Latimer, was hospitalized at 19 weeks gestation because she wanted to watch her baby carefully.

It didn’t take long for Dr. Johnson to start struggling to breathe and reach the COVID-19 ICU at Albert B. Chandler Hospital in the United Kingdom.

“My neck hurts when I’m still looking [oxygen monitor] 9 days, “he said. “That’s the only thing you have to keep going. I’m in trouble when the monitor goes south.”

While Dr. Johnson was fighting COVID-19, his daughter’s own oxygen levels began to decline and she was transferred to the ICU.

“My daughter is getting worse every few days,” said Dr. Johnson. “That is, guilt. This is your daughter and your future granddaughter you gave. [the coronavirus] To. Everyone says, “Darren, you can’t think that way.” What should I think? “

Dr. Johnson said family and hospital staff tried to refrain from telling him how fast Kelsey was going downhill.

“I knew it all the time. They didn’t have to tell me,” he said.

Dr. Johnson spent a lot of time thinking about the condition of him and his daughter because the COVID-19 unit was isolated.

“There were some nurses who thought they saved my life,” he said. “They came in and held my hand and said,’Darren, you’ll be fine.’ Even if they didn’t tell me the truth, I just tell me it. I needed someone. “

Dr. Johnson was hospitalized for 9 days. The day he was discharged, Kelsey was still in his hospital bed a few doors down, with doctors watching her closely. If she gets worse, they will have to put her on a ventilator. When Dr. Johnson left, hospital staff asked if he wanted to visit his daughter.

“I couldn’t get into that damn room,” he said. “I just couldn’t go to the room emotionally. If I enter, I don’t know if I could leave.”

Instead, he waved from outside the door. But he believes that’s all Kezley needs to see.

“People say,’Darren, you’re crazy about thinking about this,’ but I think she had to see her dad was okay, so she got better.” Dr. Johnson said. “She had to make sure I was okay, and suddenly she was like,’I’m going home this day.’ “

After being hospitalized for more than two weeks, Kelsey began to improve and was finally able to go home. The reunion with her two-year-old son was emotional, as was the reunion with her father.

“When she first came, we cried. We did. We did it,” said Dr. Johnson.

Dr. Johnson said he was fortunate and blessed that his family was able to defeat the virus and knew how deadly it was.

Latimer’s baby, which Dr. Johnson called a “miracle baby,” is expected to be born in the coming weeks.

But even with the birth of a new granddaughter on the horizon and the complete return of his family’s health, Dr. Johnson said their experience at COVID-19 would not be easily forgotten.

“I think we’ve gone through the physical part, but I think the spiritual part is still there,” he said. “I think it will take some time.”

Source link

Back to top button