Omaha

Carbon Monoxide can emit from furnaces causing poisoning – Omaha, Nebraska

Omaha, Nebraska 2021-09-27 12:44:37 –

Omaha, Nebraska (KMTV) — Officially in the fall season, as the weather begins to cool, firefighters are urging residents to prepare for the dangers associated with the season. Reactors and other appliances can emit carbon monoxide, which is considered a silent killer.

“It’s the product of incomplete combustion. It’s a colorless, odorless gas that mixes in the air, mimics flu-like symptoms, and you probably won’t even know it’s there until you start to feel the covid symptoms. “Scott Fitzpatrick Battalion Chief of the Omaha Fire Department said.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, and headache. Fitzpatrick says that if everyone in your home is experiencing symptoms, or if you feel better out of the house and start experiencing symptoms again when you return, it is in your home. It’s a sign that it may be releasing carbon monoxide.

There aren’t many ways to know other than the physical reaction. Therefore, we encourage everyone to get a detector.

“The biggest warning sign that really helps CO is to get a detector. The detector picks it up and warns you that something is happening at home. Checkout, MUD checkout, authorized A heater, or fire department, checks it to make sure you’re safe and your family is safe, it’s the biggest thing you can protect your family, “Fitzpatrick said. ..

He also warns us to leave 3 feet of space around the space heater and plug it directly into an electrical outlet instead of an extension cord. During the season, many people also start decorating their homes. It will be a festive home, but it also poses a danger.

“Many people plug everything into an outlet, or many extension cords into one outlet, which can overload and cause a fire,” Fitzpatrick said. “Also, some people put extension cords under the lugs because they don’t want people to stumble, but that doesn’t release heat properly from the extension cords because the lugs can get hot and ignite. I don’t want you to do that. “

If you can’t afford a carbon monoxide detector, the fire department will install it for free. You can contact them at their public education office at 402-444-3560.



Carbon Monoxide can emit from furnaces causing poisoning Source link Carbon Monoxide can emit from furnaces causing poisoning

Back to top button