Cleveland

Chef Mario Batali found not guilty of sexual misconduct – Cleveland, Ohio

Cleveland, Ohio 2022-05-10 14:43:47 –

Boston (AP) — Mario Batali was found not guilty of vulgar assault and assault on Tuesday after a speedy trial in which a celebrity chef abandoned the jury’s right to decide his fate.

Batari, who pleaded guilty to vulgar assault and assault in 2019, faced up to two and a half years in prison and had to be registered as a sex offender if convicted.

Batari’s whistleblower said she was “shocked and shocked” when a 61-year-old former Food Network personality actively kissed and groped her while taking a selfie at a Boston restaurant in 2017. I was surprised and surprised, “he said in court.

A 32-year-old software company worker said that when Batari touched her without her consent, she felt confused and helpless to do anything to stop Batari. She also filed a proceeding in the Suffolk County Superior Court in Boston. It claimed that Batari’s lawyer gave her a financial incentive to lie.

Batari is one of the many prominent men who have gained public attention during the recent #MeToo movement against sexual abuse and harassment.

After four women accused him of improper contact in 2017, he resigned from his day-to-day operations in the restaurant empire and left the ABC cooking show “The Chew,” which was subsequently discontinued.

Batari also acknowledged and apologized for alleging that he was “in line” with his actions.

“I made a lot of mistakes,” he said in an email magazine at the time. “My behavior is wrong and there is no excuse. I take full responsibility.”

The trial began on Monday with a bang — in a surprising move — he waived his right to a jury trial and instead chose to have the judge decide his fate.

Batari’s lawyer claimed that the assault in Boston never happened, claimed that the accusator was not a credible witness, and claimed to be a jury in recent approval of a woman who tried to avoid the jury. Focused. She was also accused of violating the judge’s order, in which case she would not openly discuss the case with others.

In making the verdict, Judge James Stanton of the Boston City Court agreed with the allegation that the whistleblower had credibility issues. Both the whistleblower and Batari left the court without speaking to reporters.

Batari was once a staple of shows such as “Malt Mario” and “Iron Chef America”. However, the flying career of a personality wearing a ponytail and orange crocs collapsed in allegations of sexual misconduct.

Last year, Batari, his business partner, and a New York City restaurant company settled a four-year investigation by the Attorney General of New York’s office on allegations that Batari and other staff had sexually harassed employees for $ 600,000. I agreed to pay.

In Boston, we have opened a branch office in Eataly, a popular Italian food market, and Babo Pizzeria Enoteca in the city’s Seaport district. However, he was subsequently acquired from Eataly’s stock and the Babo restaurant in Boston closed.

Chef Mario Batali found not guilty of sexual misconduct Source link Chef Mario Batali found not guilty of sexual misconduct

Back to top button