China has rejected the next step in its World Health Organization-led investigation into the origin of Covid-19. This is because the investigators intend to treat the theory that they may have leaked from the Wuhan Institute as plausible.
Zeng Yixin, Deputy Minister of Health, told journalists at a press conference Thursday that he was “shocked” to see that the “Laborique” hypothesis was part of the WHO program proposed for the second phase of the study. I received it. “
“We can’t accept this kind of origin tracking program,” he said, saying that the virus may have leaked from a government research institute in Wuhan, a city in central China where the disease was discovered in late 2019. I repeated my claim.
Beijing consistently states that the origin study should not challenge the findings by Chinese and WHO scientists in the first phase of the study that the laboratory leak was “a laboratory leak.” I am.Very unlikely“. China says investigators should instead look for evidence of the first human Covid-19 infection abroad.
However, WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said last week that it was “premature” to rule out the possibility that the virus responsible for Covid-19, Sars-Cov-2, was accidentally released from the Wuhan Institute. Said that.
WHO’s proposed plans for the next phase of the investigation have not been published. However, Tedros said it included “audits of related laboratories and research institutes operating in the area of the first human case identified in December 2019.”
Scientists disagree on the “laborique” theory and whether tracking the way Covid-19 first infected humans should be the focus of research.
Many believe that the virus has probably jumped from an animal, perhaps a bat, to another intermediary host through a natural process before infecting humans. Others argue that existing evidence does not rule out laboratory leak theory.
US President Joe Biden, Asked In May, US intelligence “doubled” efforts to reach an agreement on the most probable origin theory and called on WHO to include China in the next phase of the investigation.
Latest coronavirus news
Follow FT’s live coverage and analysis of pandemics and the rapidly evolving economic crisis Here..
Beijing accused the United States of politicizing scientific efforts and suggested that Covid-19 may have leaked from the US military laboratory’s Fort Detrick. China has not provided evidence to support its claim.
“When WHO is asked to investigate Fort Detrick, the United States will immediately clam,” said Zhao Lijian, a spokesman for the Chinese Foreign Ministry. “What is the dark secret hidden behind the scenes in Fort Detrick?”
So also denied that Chinese researchers were trying to hide something. I was demanded to Covid-19 Sequence data sample deleted from US database. Scientists only asked to remove the sample after the editing process was complete, as the sample was no longer needed, he said.
China rejects the next step in WHO Covid origin investigation
Source link China rejects the next step in WHO Covid origin investigation