World

China responds to India banning 43 additional Chinese apps

China’s Xi Jinping Jintao and Narendra Modi Prime Minister of India, in front of the photo session of the 18th summit meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization.

Mikhail Metsel | TASS | Getty Images

Singapore — China has accused India of discriminatory practices that violate World Trade Organization rules after another 43 Chinese mobile apps have been banned by New Delhi.

New Delhi issued an order to block these apps on Tuesday, claiming it was engaged in activities that threatened India’s national security.

“This action was based on input on these apps for engaging in activities that undermine India’s sovereignty and integrity, India’s defense, and the security of national and public order,” said the Ministry of Information Technology of India. Said.

He added that the decision was made “based on a comprehensive report received from the Indian Cybercrime Coordination Center of the Interior Ministry.”

Affected apps include Snack Video, a short video streaming app. It has been reported to dominate the chart with downloads in recent months. Owned by Tencent-backed Kuaishou, it is a replacement for the popular TikTok.

Other banned apps include Alibaba’s e-commerce platform AliExpress, streaming app Taobao Live, work messaging app DingTalk, distribution app Lalamove India and several dating sites.

China and India are not threats, but opportunities to develop with each other.

A spokesman for the Chinese embassy in India, Ji Rong, said in a statement Wednesday, “The Indian side is enthusiastic about repeatedly using’national security’as an excuse to ban some mobile apps with a Chinese background. I’m against it. “

The embassy statement said, “We hope that the Indian side will provide a fair, impartial and non-discriminatory business environment for all market participants in various countries, including China, and correct discriminatory practices that violate WTO rules. I’m out. “

“China and India are not threats, but opportunities to develop with each other,” he added.

China’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said on Wednesday that Beijing expressed “serious concern over India’s claims” and told New Delhi that “immediately correct discriminatory approaches and prevent further damage to bilateral cooperation. I asked for it.

On Tuesday, India wasn’t the first to ban Chinese apps from the country.

In June New Delhi blocked 59 mobile apps created by Chinese companies, and in September 118 more apps were added. This included the very popular Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG) mobile game associated with TikTok and Chinese internet giant Tencent.

To date, India has blocked 220 Chinese mobile apps, some of which have been created by prominent Chinese consumer tech companies such as ByteDance, Tencent and Alibaba.

South Korean game development company PUBG Corporation is reportedly planning to return to the Indian market by breaking its ties with India’s Tencent. Tencent was a PUBG mobile game published in India.

According to TechCrunch, a new game called PUBG Mobile India will be released. The report is also from the company and its parent company, KRAFTON. Invest $ 100 million worth in India.

Numerous bans came after the deteriorating bilateral relations between India and China in June, killing 20 Indian soldiers in a border clash in the Himalayas. The confrontation sparked anti-Chinese sentiment across India as people demanded a boycott of Chinese products.

Prior to the border clash, New Delhi had already introduced restrictions on China’s foreign direct investment in India.

China responds to India banning 43 additional Chinese apps

Source link China responds to India banning 43 additional Chinese apps

Back to top button