Santa Ana

City alderman calls 911 to report a fire and is put on hold for minutes | ‘I’m frustrated and I’m furious’ | News Headlines – St. Louis, Missouri

St. Louis, Missouri 2021-05-14 23:41:00 –

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com)-911 call is still pending in St. Louis, Montana …

ST. Louis (KMOV.com)-John-Muhammad, a city council member in District 21, called on the 911 Center in St. Louis to report a building fire, but said he hadn’t responded for a few minutes.

“I’ve been here for nearly 10 minutes, but I couldn’t get through,” Muhammad said. He was in the area on Friday afternoon when he saw black smoke “just swallowed the air.”

His concerns grew when he was unable to report it. “I’m frustrated and furious,” he said.

News 4 Investigates found that the city of St. Louis responded to only 65% ​​of 911 calls within 10 seconds. Put the remaining 35% of calls on hold or leave them unanswered. “It’s completely unacceptable, especially for our city,” Muhammad said.

News 4 contacted Mayor Tishaura Jones’ office and said a spokesperson was currently considering how the city would handle 911 calls. They are considering integrating three 911 call centers in the city. The primary call center is handled by the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Station. The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department forwards fire or EMS service calls to their respective departments. Jones’ office states that formalizing a more centralized approach could help remedy this problem.

Jones’ office also states that it is considering hiring activities to hire more dispatchers. They want to first evaluate how the dispatch centers are integrated before considering a partnership with the county dispatch center. To apply for a 911 dispatch position click here.

Copyright 2021 KMOV (Meredith Corporation) All copyrights



City alderman calls 911 to report a fire and is put on hold for minutes | ‘I’m frustrated and I’m furious’ | News Headlines Source link City alderman calls 911 to report a fire and is put on hold for minutes | ‘I’m frustrated and I’m furious’ | News Headlines

Back to top button