Las Vegas

Clark County fire officials share holiday safety tips – Las Vegas, Nevada

Las Vegas, Nevada 2021-11-30 17:25:27 –

Las Vegas (KTNV) — As Hanukkah’s celebration is underway and Christmas and New Year’s Eve are approaching, Clark County fire authorities are calling on residents to pay special attention to their holidays to prevent house fires.

John Steinbeck, Chief of the Clark County Fire Department, said: “Cooking-related fires and candle fires tend to increase steadily. It is also advisable to place the ornaments at a safe distance from the heat source and inspect and replace the damaged light string before connecting it. To do.”

Unmanned cooking is a major cause of household fires nationwide, and the incidence of cooking fires increases on major holidays. According to the National Fire Protection Association, Christmas, Christmas Eve, and New Year’s Day are the top three days of the year in the United States where candle-related fires broke out. Here are some safety tips for your next holiday.

Candle Care – Remember: December is the peak season for home candle fires

  • Place the candle in a stable holder with a tidy surface that children and pets cannot easily knock down.
  • Carefully light the candle. Keep hair and loose clothing away from flames.
  • Keep candles at least 3 feet away from drapes, tablecloths, or anything that could burn you. More than half of all candle fires begin when something that can burn is too close to the candle.
  • Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
  • Do not leave your child in a room with burning candles. Never leave the house when the candle is burning.
  • Avoid using candles in the bedroom or in places where others may fall asleep. In the bedroom, more candles start than in any other room.
  • Do not burn the candle completely. Turn off the candles before they get too close to the holder or container.
  • Note the use of candles for light. Allows you to use the flashlight in the event of a power outage.
  • Keep matches and lighters high, invisible, and out of the reach of children (preferably in a locked cabinet).

Holiday Lights & Decorations

  • Choose a flame-retardant or flame-retardant decoration.
  • Inspect the holiday lights annually for frayed wires, exposed spots, insulation gaps, broken or cracked sockets, and excessive wear before installing.
  • Replace the string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
  • Use a light labeled with an independent laboratory. Some lights are intended for indoor or outdoor use only, but not both.
  • Use clips instead of nails to hang the light to prevent damage to the cord.
  • Use extension cords only for temporary use. These should not act as a permanent power source for the appliance or fixed device.
  • Do not run extension cords under rugs or furniture.
  • Do not overload the outlet. Read the manufacturer’s instructions for the number of light strands to connect (usually 3 or less).
  • Turn off all light strings and decorations before leaving home or going to bed.
  • Never throw the wrapping paper into the fireplace. Very large fires can occur, sparks and embers can occur, and chimney fires can occur.

Christmas tree fire prevention

  • Place the Christmas tree away from fireplaces, heaters and other heat sources.
  • Select a new tree. The needle is green and should not break easily. The trunk should be sticky to the touch.
  • Keep the trees underwater throughout the season to prevent them from drying out. Check the water level frequently.
  • If you are using artificial trees, make sure they are flame retardant.
  • Replace broken or worn light strands. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the number of light strands to connect. Almost one-third of home Christmas tree fires are due to electrical problems.
  • Be sure to turn off the Christmas tree lights before you leave home or go to bed.
  • Do not leave a living tree for more than 2 weeks. When the needles start to fall, move the tree outdoors. From December 26th to January 15th, there are dozens of drop-off tree sites as part of the local Christmas tree recycling program. Locations include Sunset Park and Mountain Crest Park in Clark County. Many other sites are listed on the Las Vegas Springs Preserve website. []

Cooking and holiday entertainment

  • Do not leave cooked food. Always supervise the children in the cooking area.
  • Keep flammable materials such as oven mitts, utensils, wrapping paper, and towels away from the stove.
  • All kitchens require a functional multipurpose fire extinguisher with an ABC rating.
  • Don’t forget to turn off the oven, fryer, barbecue and stove burners.
  • Be vigilant. If you are tired or are consuming alcohol, do not cook as you are likely to make mistakes.
  • If you or your guest smoke, prepare a lot of large and deep ashtrays and check them often. Cigarette butts can smolder in the trash can and cause a fire, so soak the cigarette butts completely in water before disposing of them.
  • After a party, always check between the upholstery and cushions, underneath, and in the trash can for potentially smoldering cigarette butts.
  • Make sure the smoke detector is working.

Source link

Back to top button