Colorado Springs, Colorado 2021-07-29 22:43:01 –
Colorado Springs — The Colorado Springs Police Department (CSPD) has new officers in its ranks.
The 72nd new employee class to graduate 24 men and women from the Training Academy on Thursday after 27 weeks of intense training. Cadets spend the next 15 weeks on additional training before they start answering the phone themselves. Here are some facts about the class:
- Collectively, they speak seven different languages
- They come from 12 different states and 3 different countries (in addition to the United States)
- 5 are locals in Colorado Springs
- 10 people served in the army
- Previous jobs include legal assistance, military medics, housewives, and detention adjutants.
- Seven have college experience, three have an associate degree, 12 have a bachelor’s degree, and two have a master’s degree.
- One new employee also attended college while at the academy
- Two are lateral recruits.
- Those with 7 years of law enforcement in the UK
- A person who has been working in Trinidad, Colorado for nearly four years
All new executives have passed the POST certification test and are ready to start servicing the community. One graduate cadet said the academy was sometimes tough, especially for one dad.
“I had an instructor who personally cared about my situation, cared about my struggle, and actually helped me through it,” said Keith James, CSPD Officer. “I didn’t think I could handle it, or I didn’t think I could do it, or even when life was being taken over. Have the instructor pull me aside or pull the door I didn’t want to leave it open and start crying. That meant a lot. It meant a lot. “
This is because CSPD needs more executives and is looking for more new hires. CSPD is licensed to 786 officers. They have 703 officers. They were licensed to 803 officers in 2022. After the troops reach 803, the chief is expected to seek more officers from the mayor.
CSPD graduates the 72nd recruit class Source link CSPD graduates the 72nd recruit class