Tampa

Defense seeks to dismiss some evidence in Parkland gunman’s trial – Tampa, Florida

Tampa, Florida 2022-06-28 19:26:04 –

Fort Lauderdale, Florida — The conviction of Parkland shooter Nikolas Cruz is imminent. His defense wants to have Part of the evidence completely dismissed from the case.

The debate over social media posts and swastikas became a key point in the debate between prosecutors and lawyers on Tuesday, even leading to a consensus of screams between lawyers.

The defense does not provide evidence related to the social media posts and swords that Cruz etched on the AR-15 and boots that Cruz wore when he shot down 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. In 2018, we filed a series of allegations asking the judge to.

Read the Defense Team Filing:

The defense called the evidence inflammatory, unfavorable, and unrelated to the case. Meanwhile, 50 jury trial candidates have returned to court. This time, the court wanted to see if it knew any of the witnesses to the case.

The jury selection process was slow and took about three months.

Defendant lawyer Casey Secor was selected for the jury trial of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooter Nicholas Cruz at Broward County Hall in Fort Lauderdale on Tuesday, June 28, 2022. Talk to Aaron Savitzky, a legal aide to the prosecution. (Amy Beth Bennett / South Florida Sun Sentinel via AP, Pool)

However, legal experts have stated that it is imperative to handle this process carefully.

“The jury selection process we call preliminary interrogation is not a sexual part of the trial, but one of the most important due to the fact that the defendant decides whether to be judged by a fellow jury. “, Said Melva Pearson, director of policy and programs at the Green School of International and Public Affairs at Florida International University. “It also confirms that various voices have been heard as to what the outcome of this case should be.”

Twelve jury trials will be asked to decide whether the 23-year-old boy will be sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole or to be sentenced to death for his crimes on February 14, 2018.

The trial is scheduled to begin next week, but may be postponed again.

Judge Elizabeth Scheller Said last week The opening statement of the trial will begin on July 6.

This story was originally Published by WPTV in West Palm BeachFlorida.



Defense seeks to dismiss some evidence in Parkland gunman’s trial Source link Defense seeks to dismiss some evidence in Parkland gunman’s trial

Back to top button