Valley Stream, New York 2021-07-30 08:32:56 –
(WSPA)-As the temperature in our area rises, Duke Energy provides tips for managing your energy usage and billing while staying cool.
High temperatures can lead to higher energy usage and billing as customers fight heat. Below are some tips from Duke Energy to help you manage your energy use.
- Replace the air filter regularly. Dirty air filters make the HVAC system difficult to operate and use more energy.
- Set the thermostat to the most comfortable setting. The smaller the difference between the inside and outside temperatures, the lower the energy usage and billing.
- Close blinds, drapes and curtains during the hottest hours of the day. Keeping blinds, drapes, and curtains closed helps prevent the sun’s rays from warming your home.
- Use a ceiling fan in an occupied room to supplement your air conditioning. Make sure the fan is set to operate counterclockwise and push the cold air down into the living space. Use the ceiling fan only in the occupied room. Fans cool people, not things.
- Grill outdoors Using an electric oven and stove will generate a lot of heat in the room. Save energy by grilling outdoors or preparing meals that don’t require cooking.
- Turn off unnecessary lights. Be sure to turn off the lights when you leave the room. Lights dissipate heat and make the air conditioning system work more powerfully.
According to Duke Energy, air conditioning is one of the largest energy users in your home, so energy usage usually spikes in the summer. Customers can also track and adjust usage during the heat wave of the week. For more information on managing and reducing summer billing, please visit: Click here for the Duke Energy website.
Duke Energy offers tips on managing energy use, bills in heat wave Source link Duke Energy offers tips on managing energy use, bills in heat wave