Santa Ana

EXCLUSIVE | City correctional officers speak up as Tuesday’s riot comes days after safety complaints | St. Louis News Headlines – St. Louis, Missouri

St. Louis, Missouri 2021-07-29 23:00:00 –

NS. Louis (KMOV.COM)-Tuesday will launch a fourth riot in eight months at the City Justice Center (CJC) in downtown St. Louis. In those riots, prisoners were seen bustting through the cell door, destroying the master control switchboard and breaking windows.

CJC prison officers are currently only talking to News 4 about their concerns and have come forward. They want to remain anonymous for fear of losing their jobs.

“We were seriously lucky because more than 60 people had jumped out of the cell and weren’t attacking the guards,” said a CJC prison officer (CO).

The CJC prison officer told News 4 that they are now moving forward because they feel their safety is at stake more than ever.

“The last riot, the riot that just happened the other day, we warned them because CO knew it would happen. We’re saying they’ll riot because they can, unlocked There are people in the cell. The last one was just because there was no reason, it could be done, “CO explained.

The officer, along with others who spoke anonymously with News 4, blamed Locke’s flaws due to ongoing safety issues and staff shortages. Dan Isom, director of public security in the city of St. Louis, said executives were involved in this as well.

“We are trying to do everything we can to make sure they are safe, but we also need to do checks, physical checks. The more we follow the processes and procedures, the more the facility It will be safer. “Isom explained.

News4’s Jenna Rae asked Isom directly if she was blaming officers for security issues in the prison. He didn’t answer directly. She also asked if this was the first time he had heard of a concern.

“Is this the first time I’ve heard some of these concerns?” Ray asked. “No, so it’s not the first time we’ve heard them, but at that size,” Isom replied.

The majority of CJCCO union representatives argued that this was not the case.

“I wrote a letter that Thursday, so it would have been 22 days for safety concerns. I think Locke is at stake and the riots are about to begin,” Jeff Hahns said. Told.

Union representative Hahnz told News 4 that he had not seen a dangerous situation like in CJC for 21 years as a union representative. Hunts said he wouldn’t even work in the prison and recommends that Isom director shift there to get a real feel for his CO.

Here’s a letter from Hahns to Isom on July 22, just five days before the recent riots:

Letter sent by CO union representative to St. Louis Public Security Director Isom

The letter states that the union is wary of security failures and malfunctioning locks persisting within the facility. They claim that damaged locks, doors and control panels are inadequately repaired. In the letter, “This raised serious concerns about the possibility of another riot within the facility.”

“There are cells on two different levels. You are on the mezzanine and walking along the railing. Is it safe for a man to open the door and push up the railing? No, that’s one of them. I’m afraid the officers will share it with me. ”

News 4 asked anonymous prison officers several times during the interview if they felt safe at work, and they said no to us.

“Do you think your life is at risk of working every day?” Asked Jenna Rae of News4. “That’s right when they put me in an unsafe unit,” CO replied.

Isom says he is working with staff on site to improve the locking system and the safety of prisoners and officers. Isom told News4 that if things were out of control, prisoners would have to resort to returning prisoners to a medium security agency, also known as the Poorhouse, which Mayor Tishaura Jones closed in June 2021.

Copyright 2021 KMOV (Meredith Corporation) All copyrights

EXCLUSIVE | City correctional officers speak up as Tuesday’s riot comes days after safety complaints | St. Louis News Headlines Source link EXCLUSIVE | City correctional officers speak up as Tuesday’s riot comes days after safety complaints | St. Louis News Headlines

Back to top button