Denver

FBI releases newly declassified record on Sept. 11 attacks – The Denver Post – Denver, Colorado

Denver, Colorado 2021-09-12 01:25:29 –

Washington — The FBI released a new declassified document late Saturday in preparation for the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the backing of two Saudi hijackers. The details of this document indicate that the hijacker had contacted a fellow Saudi Arabian in the United States, but did not provide evidence that a senior Saudi government official was involved in the plot.

Released on the 20th anniversary of the attack, this document is the first investigation record released since President Joe Biden ordered a declassification review of undisclosed material for years. The 16-page document summarizes a 2015 FBI interview with a man who had frequent contact with Saudi Arabians in the United States who helped the first hijacker arrive in the country before the attack.

Last week, Biden ordered the Department of Justice and other agencies to conduct a declassification review and publish possible documents in the next six months. He encountered pressure from the families of victims who had long sought records in proceeding in a proceeding in New York alleging that Saudi officials supported the hijackers.

The heavily edited document was released on Saturday night, hours after Biden attended a commemorative event on September 11 in New York, Pennsylvania, and northern Virginia. Relatives of the victims previously opposed Biden’s presence at ceremonial events, as long as the documents remained classified.

The Saudi government has long denied involvement in the attack. The Saudi Arabian Embassy in Washington supported the complete declassification of all records as a way to “completely end unfounded claims against the Kingdom.” The embassy said the allegations that Saudi Arabia had colluded were “resolutely wrong.”

The pile of documents was released at a politically sensitive time, especially for the United States and Saudi Arabia, which had a strategic (albeit difficult) alliance on the issue of counterterrorism. In February, the Biden administration released an information assessment suggesting Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman, who killed U.S.-based journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018, but from the Democratic Party for avoiding his own direct punishment. I was criticized.

Relatives of the victims supported the release of the document as an important step in their efforts to link the attack to Saudi Arabia. Brett Eagleson, whose father Bruce was killed in an attack at the World Trade Center, said the release of FBI material “accelerates the pursuit of truth and justice.”

Jim Klineler, a lawyer for the victim’s relatives, said in a statement:

“This document provides a blueprint for how (Al Qaeda) worked in the United States with the active and knowledgeable support of the Government of Saudi Arabia, along with the public evidence collected so far. I will, “he said.

It could also allow Saudi officials to exchange phones between them and al-Qaeda operatives, have “accidental meetings” with hijackers, and provide them with assistance in settling and finding flight schools. He added that it would be included.

As for September 11, there was speculation of official involvement shortly after the attack revealed that 15 of the 19 attackers were Saudis. Osama bin Laden, then al-Qaeda leader, came from a prominent family in the kingdom.

According to documents already declassified, the United States investigated Saudi diplomats and other diplomats associated with the Saudi government who knew the hijacker after arriving in the United States.

Nonetheless, a 2004 9/11 Commission report stated that a charity linked to Saudi Arabia may have diverted money to the group, but al-Qaeda’s masterminded attack was “the Saudi government as an institution or There is no evidence that senior Saudi Arabian officials have individually funded it. “

Of particular scrutiny were the first two hijackers arriving in the United States, Nawafal Hazumi and Khalid Almidar, and the support they received.

Shortly after arriving in Southern California in February 2000, they helped find and lease an apartment in San Diego at a halal restaurant, and Omar Albayomi, who had a relationship with the Saudi government and had previously gathered FBI surveillance. I met a Saudi citizen named. ..

Bayoumi describes the restaurant meeting between Hazmi and Mihdhar as a “coincidence”, and the FBI during an interview to see if the features are accurate or actually pre-arranged. I tried many times.

The 2015 interview that underpinned this document reiterated with Saudi citizens who applied for US citizenship and said a few years ago investigators provided “significant logistic support” to several hijackers. It was for a man who came into contact. According to the document, one of his contacts was Bayomi.

The man’s identity has been edited throughout the document, but he is described as working at the Saudi Consulate in Los Angeles.

Also mentioned in this document is Fahad al-Tumily, a diplomat certified at the Saudi Consulate in Los Angeles at the time, who said the investigators led the militants at his mosque. According to the document, correspondence analysis identified a seven-minute call from the phone of two brothers Thumairy, who were futurely detained in a prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to the home phone of a Saudi family member in 1999.

Both Bayoumi and Thumairy left the United States a few weeks before the attack.

FBI releases newly declassified record on Sept. 11 attacks – The Denver Post Source link FBI releases newly declassified record on Sept. 11 attacks – The Denver Post

Back to top button