A US federal court has ordered North Korea to pay $ 2.3 billion in damages to its crew and family.Tortured and ill-treated for 11 months in 1968 .. A Washington federal court found that surviving members of the crew and families of those who are now dead have $ 1.15 billion in confinement and compensatory damages for suffering, twice as much as punitive damages for Pyongyang. Said there is.
Many of the 83 powerful crew members killed by North Koreans when they seized Pueblo on January 23, 1968 said they had been mentally and physically abused during their captivity.
In addition, the government-appointed “special master” Alan Baralan wrote that he decided how to allocate damages and suffered the longest-lasting sequelae, both psychologically and physically.
“As a result of the savagery of North Koreans, almost everything required medical and / or psychiatric intervention,” Baralan wrote.
“Many underwent invasive surgical procedures to improve the physical injuries resulting from the relentless torture of prisoners,” he wrote. “Some people have tried to paralyze their pain with alcohol and narcotics, others have worsened their family and work life. Some are thinking about suicide.”
North Koreans have released propaganda photos and videos. Captured sailor raising middle finger To the camera as a sign of protest. They told prisoners unfamiliar with gestures that it was a “sign of good luck in Hawaii.”
The proceedings ruled that the U.S. Department of Justice could be sued if the government was designated as a national sponsor of international terrorism, despite a law that gives foreign governments a broad immunity from proceedings in U.S. courts. Later, it was raised in 2018.
In late 2017, the Trump administration officially declared North Korea as a sponsor of terrorism.
Pueblo was the first US Navy craft ship to sail under the guise of an environmental research vessel.
Pyongyang says it was in North Korean waters when it was captured, which Washington denied.
But that happened when the United States was involved in the Vietnam War and a North Korean operator entered South Korea and tried to assassinate President Park Chung-hee.
The effort failed, but many Koreans were killed and the seizure of Pueblo’s crew complicated Seoul’s desire to respond militarily.
After about a year of negotiations in December 1968, the crew was released, but Pyongyang retained Pueblo and turned it into a museum.
The US Navy still keeps it on the list of active ships.
In its final decision on Wednesday, the court inflicted $ 22 to $ 48 million in damages for each of the 49 surviving crew members and a small amount of damages for about 100 families.
North Korea did not participate in the case, and it was not clear how the victims expected to recover their damages.
shipThousands of North Koreans hear the North Korean version every day in the Potong River at the end of the vast “Victory Homeland Liberation War Museum” complex in central Pyongyang, and contrary to all possibilities, Americans Was defeated. Since the 1950-53 Korean War, he has fought against hostile Goliath.
- The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Federal Court Awards $ 2.3 Billion to US Craft Ship Crew Hostaged by North Korea in 1968
Source link Federal Court Awards $ 2.3 Billion to US Craft Ship Crew Hostaged by North Korea in 1968