Sacramento, California 2022-05-05 12:41:31 –
Thousands of people from all over the state gathered at the festival
As the capital hosted a festival celebrating the 73rd anniversary of the California Gold Rush, one of the most attended and memorable events of Sacramento’s early decades took place a century ago.
Thousands of people gathered for this week’s event, known as the “Days of ’49.” The festival was sponsored by the Sacramento Chamber of Commerce and today’s Sacramento Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce.
Held from Tuesday, May 23 to Sunday, May 28, 1922, Days of ’49 is a four-block old “mining town” with replica buildings, stagecoaches, prairie scooners, and real relics. There were various attractions such as. In the gold rush era.
Representatives of the California State Library spent months investigating the Gold Rush era to ensure a genuine experience.
As a pioneering event, the Days of ’49 brought together a large number of men and women of all ages who arrived in the style of the Archetypal Old West.
Everyday clothes of the time were temporarily placed in closets and replaced with red flannel shirts and boots for men, hoop skirts and bonnets for women.
Some men wore the antique clothes of miners, while others wore clothes that represented the clothes worn by frontier men and aristocrats during the gold rush era.
Many women at the festival also wore long dresses because they wanted to win the most distinctive gown prizes of the gold rush era.
Jewelery with gold nuggets and old-fashioned brooches was also common during this festive week.
At another tournament, a Sacramento man who had been shaving clean nine weeks ago put a whiskers into the Wiskellinos prize contest on May 24, 1922.
In the May 23, 1922 edition, The Sacramento Bee called the contest “one of the biggest promotional campaigns in the history of the country.”
In the same edition, the bee called the 49th day “the greatest celebration of (city) history.”
The Sacramento Union, in its May 13, 1922 edition, has many expectations that the 49th day will be the “largest national celebration of the year” and the largest national since the Panama-Pacific World’s Fair. ) Festival “. “
The Panama Pacific International Exposition was a World Exposition held in today’s Marina District of San Francisco from February 20th to December 4th, 1915. To celebrate the completion of the Panama Canal, we held an exhibition in San Francisco. Visitors have visited how far they have come since the 1906 earthquake and fire devastated the city.
In an attempt to attract visitors from across California to the 49th day, summer excursion rail tolls were on May 15, 1922 instead of June 1, 1922, as was customary in the previous year. It has begun to be offered.
Efforts to beautify the capital for the festival began in the fall of 1921.
The November 22, 1921 article of Union states: The streets of Citv need to be free of abandoned paperwork, trash fragments, abandoned flowers, and “smoke” debris.
“But keeping pavements, gutters, sidewalks, parks, alleys, entrances and vacant lots clean is an effort of a week or more.”
It was no coincidence that the event received a lot of publicity throughout the state, as the ’49 day was a well-planned celebration.
Newspapers throughout California contained articles promoting the festival.
In its December 23, 1921 edition, San Pedro News Pilot said, “The Gold Rush Stirring Day will be revived in a pictorially adventurous event of the era depicted in Pageant and Panamora.” “California’s capital will (and will) be completely returned to the days of those seeking gold.”
In its April 28, 1922 edition, the San Mateo newsreader said:
“The area around Sutters Fort, one of the most famous landmarks of 1949, is a collection of real Indian villages inhabited by real Indians.”
The success of the event was evident from day one, with more than 50,000 people arriving to enjoy the celebration of the day.
The day began with a reenactment of the morning when Captain John A. Satter landed on the American River in August 1839.
The reenactment took place on the Sacramento River at the foot of R Street, and the Satter was painted by Hobart Bosworth.
Following this attraction, Bosworth was guided to Sutters Fort at the beginning of a large parade while still painting Sutter. The parade also included floats, bands, and Native Americans depicting American Indians of the time.
A salute of 13 guns greeted the procession, and many spectators gathered at the entrance to the fort’s L Street.
Another attraction on the first day was the Whisker Palace, where Hans N. Langses exhibited what he perceived as “the longest beard in the world.”
Whisker Palace was one of the many buildings in Mining Town. It also included the reconstruction of the famous gambling grounds of the 49er era, man-made mountains and rock drilling contests.
In addition, a shooting exhibition by Captain AH Hardy was held at the Stockton Boulevard and the current Broadway trade fairs.
In real life, the California pioneers were still alive when the ’49 day was held. On May 24, 1922, a committee of events offered a ’49 dinner to people who came to California before 1860.
May 27, 1922, the day of 49, extended to Coloma. The gold that led to the gold rush there was discovered by James W. Marshall on July 24, 1848.
Among the attractions on May 28, 1922 was the “Beard Parade”.
Every day of the celebration featured a parade, and on Friday, May 26, 1922, the parade headed for Sutters Fort along J and K streets.
Admission to the festival was 50 cents per ticket. However, a block of four tickets can be purchased for $ 1 through the participating chambers of commerce.
More than 100,000 people participated in Days in 1949.
The Bee summarized the festival in its May 29, 1922 edition, stating:
Grand Gold Rush celebration held in Sacramento a century ago Source link Grand Gold Rush celebration held in Sacramento a century ago