Atlanta

Haiti’s interim PM confirms request for US troops to country – Atlanta, Georgia

Atlanta, Georgia 2021-07-09 21:49:52 –

When Haitians gather outside the US Embassy in Port-au-Prince, Haitian on Friday, July 9, 2021, they shout “Help, refugees” and shake their passports. The United States will distribute asylum and humanitarian visas two days after Haiti’s President Jobener Moise was assassinated at home. (AP photo / Joseph Oderin)

Port-au-Prince, Haiti (AP) —Haiti’s interim government calls on the United States on Friday to deploy troops to protect key infrastructure to stabilize the country and prepare the road to elections after the assassination of President Jobenell. He said he did. Moyes.

“We definitely need help and have sought help from our international partners,” Interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph told The Associated Press, refusing to provide details. “We believe our partners can help the National Police to resolve the situation.”

Joseph said he was disappointed by the opposition who tried to seize political power using Moise’s murder. Indirect references to parliamentary groups declared their loyalty and recognized Haiti’s dismantled senator Joseph Lambert as interim president. And Ariel Henry, who was nominated as prime minister the day before Haiti was killed, became prime minister.

“I’m not interested in power struggles,” Joseph said in a brief telephone interview without mentioning Lambert. “There is only one way people can become president in Haiti, and through elections.”

Joseph said a few hours after the Colombian police chief said the Colombians involved in the assassination of Moise had been hired by four companies and traveled to Caribbean countries in two groups via the Dominican Republic. .. Meanwhile, the United States said it would send high-ranking FBI and Homeland Security officials to assist in the investigation.

Haitian National Police Chief Leon Charles said 17 suspects had been detained in Moise’s brave murder, which surprised a country that had already recovered from poverty, widespread violence and political instability.

As the investigation progressed, the killings took on a complex international conspiracy. In addition to the Colombians, among those detained by police were two Haitian Americans described as interpreters for the attackers. Some of the suspects were confiscated in a raid on the Taiwanese embassy, ​​which they allegedly sought to evacuate.

At a press conference in Bogotá, the capital of Colombia, General Jorge Luis Borges Valencia said four companies were involved in the assassination-related “recruitment, a gathering of these people,” because the names still remained. , Under verification that did not identify the company.

Two of the suspects traveled to Haiti via Panama and the Dominican Republic, and a second group of 11 people arrived in Haiti from the Dominican Republic on July 4, Vargas said.

In Washington, White House spokesman Jen Psaki was sent to Haiti “as soon as possible to assess the situation and how we can help” by senior FBI executives and Homeland Security officials. Said.

“The United States continues to be involved and in close consultation with Haiti and its international partners to assist the people of Haiti in the aftermath of the assassination of the president,” said Pusaki.

At Haiti’s U.S. military request, senior government officials reiterated Saki’s previous comment that he was sending authorities to assess how the government would be most useful, but at this point it provides military aid. He added that there were no plans.

The United States sent troops to Haiti following the last assassination of the president in the country, the killing of President Bilbrungyomsam in 1915 by an angry mob who attacked the French embassy he was seeking to evacuate. It was.

In Haiti, state police chief Leon Charles said eight other suspects were still being searched in large numbers.

Investigative journalist Judge Clement Noel told the French newspaper Le Nouvelliste that Haitian Americans had been arrested. Noel said Solage and Vincent were interpreters for the attackers.

The same newspaper said Port-au-Prince prosecutor Bedford Claude had ordered state police investigative forces to cross-examine all security agencies near Moise. These include Jean Laguel Civil, Moise’s security coordinator, and Dimitri Hérard, head of the General Security Unit at the National Palace.

“Where were you if you were responsible for the president’s security? What did you do to avoid this fate of the president?” Claude said.

An attack at Moïse’s house before dawn on Wednesday also seriously injured his wife, who was sent to Miami for treatment.

With the help of police and the military, Joseph exercised leadership and declared a two-week “siege.” Port-au-Prince is already at stake as gangsters expel more than 14,700 people last month alone as they burned and plundered their homes in a territorial battle.

The killings stopped the normally bustling capital, but Joseph urged the masses to return to work.

Vargas promised Colombia’s full cooperation, authorities identified 13 of the 15 Colombians involved in the attack as retired members of the army, 11 were captured and two were killed. Their ranks range from commanders to soldiers.

General Luis Fernando Navarro, commander of the Colombian Army, said he had left the facility between 2018 and 2020.

“In the criminal world, there was the concept of murder, and this happened. They hired some members of the (military) reserve army for this purpose and criminally for what they committed. We have to deal with it, “said the retired Colombian army. General Jaime Luis Valera.

High-ranking Colombian security forces travel to Haiti to help with the investigation.

Colombian soldiers trained in the United States have been recruited in large numbers by private security companies in conflict zones around the world due to decades of war experience with left-wing rebels and powerful drug cartels.

The wife of a former Colombian soldier in custody said he was hired by a security company to travel to the Dominican Republic last month.

A woman who identified herself only as a “lily” was told by Colombian W Radio that her husband, Francisco Uribe, was hired by a company called CTU for $ 2,700 a month to travel to the Dominican Republic, where she would provide protection. Told. Some strong families. She said she last spoke to him at 10 pm Wednesday — almost the day after Moïse’s murder — and said he was on alert at the house where he and others were staying. ..

“The next day he wrote me a message that sounded like goodbye,” the woman said. “They were running, they were being attacked … that was the last time I contacted them.”

The woman said she knew little about her husband’s activities and didn’t even know she had traveled to Haiti.

Uribe is investigating his alleged role in extrajudicial killings by US-trained troops in Colombia more than a decade ago. According to Colombian court records, he and another soldier were accused of killing a civilian in 2008 and later attempted to be presented as a criminal killed in combat.

The CTU in question could be Miami-Dade’s CTU security. The company’s website has two addresses. One was a closed warehouse with no sign indicating who it belonged to. The other is a simple office with another company name, and the receptionist says that the CTU owner collects meals once a week and holds occasional meetings.

Solage, 35, is a charitable website launched in 2019 in South Florida to help residents of his hometown of Jacmel in southern Haiti, saying he is a “certified diplomat” advocating for children and up-and-coming politicians. I called myself. The coast.

Solage also said he worked as a bodyguard at the Canadian embassy in Haiti, with a photo of an armored military vehicle and the American flag on a Facebook page that was deleted following news of the arrest.

Canada’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a statement not mentioning Solage by name, but one of the men detained for his alleged role in the murder was “spare bodyguard” at the embassy by a private contractor. Was easily hired as. “

Calls to charities and fellow Solages were unanswered. However, relatives in South Florida said Solage had not received military training and did not believe he was involved in the killing.

“I love the president and I love James Solage, so it feels like my son killed my brother,” Schubert Drisme, whose wife is Solage’s aunt, told WPLG in Miami.

The Taiwanese embassy in Port-au-Prince said police had arrested 11 people who tried to break into the premises early Thursday. It did not give details of their identity or the reason for the invasion, but in a statement called the man a “mercenary” and strongly condemned Moïse’s “cruel and barbaric assassination.”

“Whether the suspect was involved in the assassination of President Haiti needs to be investigated by Haitian police,” foreign affairs spokesman Joan Ou told The Associated Press in Taipei.

Police were warned by embassy guards while Taiwanese diplomats were working from home. Haiti is one of the few countries that has diplomatic relations with Taiwan.



Haiti’s interim PM confirms request for US troops to country Source link Haiti’s interim PM confirms request for US troops to country

Back to top button