Honolulu

HI-EMA makes corrections 3 years after false missile alert while DOD defends Hawaii – Honolulu, Hawaii

Honolulu, Hawaii 2021-01-14 04:07:40 –

Honolulu (KHON2) — An event where most Hawaiians remember their whereabouts. The state was shocked by the threat of a ballistic missile arriving on Saturday morning, January 13, 2018, but it turned out to be a false alarm.

[Hawaii’s Breaking News–Download the FREE KHON2 app for iOS or Android]

The Federal Communications Commission has determined that the Hawaii Emergency Management (HI-EMA) workers who caused the panic believe that Hawaii is actually under attack. On Wednesday, January 12, 2021, HI-EMA told KHON2 that the procedure had been changed to prevent the recurrence of false alarms.

“When we activate alerts, we deploy a two-person activation and verification system for all test exercises in all hazard scenarios,” said Ed Teixeira, former Deputy Director of Civil Defense. “If desired, you can trigger a pre-written correction statement within seconds of the error.”

According to Teixeira, the changes in these two steps immediately came to mind.

“A pre-written message that could fix something that didn’t work or was wrong is the way to go. It’s easy,” he said.

The second change was from a phone call Teixeira received shortly after a false missile warning was issued throughout the state.

“Within the first hour of the case, a very prominent politician asked me what I thought. He was talking to the governor and the person in charge and was not very comfortable and gave me my opinion. I asked. “

His first reaction was that the system should not be controlled by an individual.

“When doing this kind of exercise or procedure, you need at least two rules for immediate response from the general public, which means that not just one person is sitting behind the computer screen. It’s also a touch screen, “says Teixeira.

Since then, tensions between the United States and North Korea appear to have subsided, but the Pentagon is preparing.

USS John Finn successfully shot down a test version of an intercontinental ballistic missile northeast of Hawaii in November 2020 as part of a “Defense of Hawaii” scenario mandated by Congress.

“It has shown that MDA has a system that can be used to defend the missile defense agency’s objectives and goals, achieve results in the Pacific, and protect Hawaii,” said Teisheira.

HI-EMA makes corrections 3 years after false missile alert while DOD defends Hawaii Source link HI-EMA makes corrections 3 years after false missile alert while DOD defends Hawaii

Back to top button