Fresno, California 2021-10-11 00:38:41 –
Gusts raise both health and safety concerns.
“It’s totally unhealthy to inhale particulate matter,” said Anthony Presto, an air pollution control district in the San Joaquin Valley.
The wind pushes many wildfire smoke out of the San Joaquin Valley, but dust in the air can reduce visibility and pose a risk to breathing.
“We get a lot of particulate matter in the dust we blow, because inhaling and exposing it to it increases the risk of asthma attacks, respiratory infections, emphysema, and chronic bronchitis. , This is a real health concern, “says Presto.
The winds are so strong in some areas that Pacific Gas and Electric (PG & E) warns thousands of customers that electricity could be cut off.
A little less than 200 customers in Fresno will be darkened, and about 12 customers in both Kings and Merced counties can be darkened.
Shutdowns are intended to reduce the risk of power lines causing wildfires.
Fallen trees are also a concern, especially for crew members fighting windy fires.
Incident meteorologist Avivia Brown, who monitors Windifier, said:
All eyes are near fire and home, in potentially dangerous air.
You can see if you are affected by the PG & E shutoff here.
If affected, PG & E has issued the following tips:
- Use your mobile or wired phone. Cordless phones will not work without electricity.
- Use a battery-powered flashlight instead of a candle. There is a risk of fire.
- Unplug or turn off all electrical and heat generating equipment (air conditioners, washing machines and dryers, ovens, stoves, irons, etc.) to prevent circuit overload. Overloaded circuits are at risk of fire when power is restored.
- Unplug the TV or computer you were using when the power was turned off.
- Leave one lamp on to warn you when power is back.
- Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed and put an extra container of ice inside to store food. A complete freezer will get colder longer.
- If you have an alarm system, please notify the alarm company. The equipment may be affected by the outage.
- When the condition returns to normal, turn the appliances back on one at a time.
- After power is restored, reset the clock, thermostat, and other programmed equipment.
Copyright © 2021 KFSN-TV. all rights reserved.
High winds in the Central Valley prompt power shutoffs, health warnings Source link High winds in the Central Valley prompt power shutoffs, health warnings