Milwaukee, Wisconsin 2021-02-26 06:05:47 –
Last year, the United States woke up about the country’s past and present degree of racial discrimination. There are dozens of books, podcasts and articles about being an ally in the fight against racism. They will teach you how to be a good ally, but you will miss it by not saying the opposite.
In my view, meaningful acts by advocates of racial justice, while seemingly meaningful, are a real turn-off and our victims of racism in the United States. It leads to frustration and burnout. The old saying, “I don’t know what I don’t understand,” applies here.
I had a lot of conversations with people all over the state and even across the country about this kind of work. I often ask for advice. I don’t have a magic pill to fix racism. I wish I could do it.
What I want potential allies to understand is that there is no recipe to solve this problem. I don’t try to bake cookies like my grandma does. We are trying to dismantle a system designed to provide benefits to whites, primarily men, while at the same time detrimental to those whom the United States does not consider white.
Fighting a static enemy is one thing, but this enemy is like a caged tiger and ready to protect itself. The backlash from those who love the benefits they have is the most difficult for allies to understand. They ask me, how can Reggie work towards a just society when I have a lot of friends, family, colleagues, neighbors, etc. who haven’t seen the problem?
This paradox is hidden in a clear view. If you were careful, you would have noticed before George Floyd was killed. The way America was designed is that we spend so much time and energy thinking about ourselves that other people’s problems seem invisible and invisible. We usually don’t spend time looking at the world around us from the perspective of others.
understood. Life can be difficult. We are all very busy and alive and do not have the bandwidth to absorb everything that life imposes on our faces. It rarely takes time to sit and relax and take a closer look at what is called your hometown.
We are unaware of poverty unless it directly affects us. If we are not the victims, we will not see police atrocities. People do not have time to realize the benefits given to whites for centuries. Because they probably worked harder and did more right things in life, so they are said to have what they have. Their schools are doing so well that people don’t see the collapsing schools in the communities they don’t live in.
As a community representing 60% of the country, whites are the most isolated Americans in the country. They live in towns, cities, villages, and numerous settlements that tend to be mostly very white. There is little room for others in their bubbles. If the average white person has 100 friends, 91 of them are white. There is only room for one black friend, one Latin friend, one Asian friend, one mixed race friend, one friend of another race, and three friends of unknown race. .. The average white friend network is 1% black, while the average black friend network is 8% white.
“All my black friends have a lot of white friends, and every one of my white friends has one black friend.” – Comedian Chris Rock
Why is this important? In 2009, the Public Religion Research Institute conducted a poll to find out what our friend network would look like. They found what was quoted above. They also found that 75 percent of whites have “completely white social networks without the presence of a minority.” For blacks, that number is about 65 percent.
Whites in a small community in the state often want black friends to discuss these issues. I’m joking that not all whites have enough blacks to have black friends.
I recently did a program on the history of black devaluation in American history that I call. It’s the history of Black Lives Matter: the devaluation of American Black Lives. During one session of an anonymous poll, I was told how many black people live in the United States. The answer ranged from a maximum of 140 million to a minimum of 30 million. Some have speculated that the proportion of blacks is somewhere between 9 and 60 percent of the country. People simply don’t know. Hands full of new people whose real numbers are close to 40 million non-Hispanic blacks.
The 2019 Census Bureau estimates that there are 40,596,040 blacks in the United States. We make up only 12.4% of the country’s population. On the other hand, 196,789,401 (60%) non-Hispanic Caucasians, 60,481,746 (18.4%) Hispanic / Latinos, 18,427,914 (5.6%) Asians, 8,303,331 (2.5%) mixed-race people, There are 2,236,348 American Indians and Alaska. Native (0.7%), 565,473 Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islanders (0.2%), and 839,270 (0.3%) of other races.
Why do you think that number is such a hidden number for so many Americans? Why do you think so many people, especially whites, overestimate the number of blacks in the country? I think there are many reasons, mainly because we watch us on TV and in movies. You can’t watch the most popular sports on TV without seeing many blacks playing basketball and soccer at the professional and college levels. Popular music is full of black faces. We’re always in the news, but most are negative. We are more commercial than ever. At the same time, Latin Americans and Asians are highly undervalued, and Native Americans almost completely lack these platforms.
Therefore, in our perception, there are far more blacks than they really are. The same is true for Wisconsin. Of the 5,822,434 Wisconsins, only 366,735 are non-Hispanic blacks (6.3%).
Another 1. Hispanics are not considered a racial group. Instead they are ethnic. You are Hispanic / Latino and could be one of the racial groups mentioned above. It’s very confusing because people generally don’t know that this is how our government divides us into smaller boxes.
That’s why last year I bought a racial calculation that hasn’t been seen since the height of the civil rights movement in the 1950s and 1960s. This time, a viral video of George Floyd being killed by a white police officer evoked a reaction in the white community like never before. In fact, protests have spread around the world. More whites have joined the awakened club than at any point in American history.
Along their way, these newly awakened white people tried to navigate this new space. They bought Black Lives Matter bumper stickers, hats, T-shirts, garden signs and more. That’s great, but it’s not enough.
Buying the latest anti-racist books and webins is a good start. Eventually, you’ll find yourself in the battlefield space where the rubber hits the road.
These are the things you shouldn’t do:
- I don’t think you’ll be embarrassed to make mistakes, say wrong things, or make mistakes.
- Let’s say you got it just because you read Ibram X Kendy or watched a video of Ta-Nehisi Coates.
- Tell the people of color that you too were badly treated by the police just because you were pulled by the police when you were a teenager.
- Speak more than you hear in a space where people of color share their living experiences with you.
- Tell the colored people that just doing X, Y, Z will not pull them anymore.
- Suppose a person of one color can speak as a whole group.
- Suppose all blacks live in “food”, all Latino Americans live in “Vario”, all Asians live in Chinatown, and all Native Americans live in “Les”.
- Consider that racism in 401 could be overturned overnight.
- Believe that it is enough to find unity together. We don’t mind finding unity with white racists. White anti-racists Yes, but not white racists.
- Make sure to properly apply cultural norms such as clothing, hairstyles, musical tastes and slang. Another thing about this. Whites should always be aware of the latest slang. You tend to be late for years.
- Imagine that going to the “wrong” side of the town puts you at deadly risk. People may stare at you, but they can’t rob you, stab you, carjack you, or cause great physical harm just because you’re white. People who do those things usually do them to people who look like themselves.
- If a black man seems to be in trouble, call the police without asking first. It doesn’t always work for us.
- Suppose someone has the accent of being clumsy.
- If someone speaks your native language (Spanish, Hmong, Chinese, Arabic, etc.), assume they are somehow plotting your demise. Instead, you need to admire the fact that they speak more languages than you.
- Tell a joke that people in color would find it interesting without having to think about it first. This often comes off the rails.
- I apologize without really apologizing. (I apologize if someone is offended). It’s a fake apology because you know exactly who made you angry. We apologize directly.
- Whitesplain (composed of terms similar to mansplaining) is because it assumes that there is an answer and that colored people cannot think for themselves.
- Tell the people of color that it’s not necessarily about race (it could be a class, etc.) You can’t make that decision, the victims do.
- Say white supremacy, or white privilege, as if you had coined the term yourself.
- You are now “awakened”, so tap your back. It’s great to wake up, but you have to get out of bed and do something.
- Don’t ask colored people for all the answers. Do your own research and critical thinking. If I knew how to fix racism, I would have done so long ago.
- Tell the blacks that your family did not own slaves. First of all, we don’t care. Second, you belong to a group that still owned blacks.
- I apologize to all the white people in the world. It is not your place to apologize for the behavior of others.
- Suppose you can touch the hair of black people (especially black women). You can’t even ponder it, and you shouldn’t.
- Please say N-word because black people say it. This can lead to very difficult situations.
I was able to continue, but this is a good set of basic rules for anti-racist allies, especially whites.