Las Vegas, Nevada 2021-05-18 02:33:17 –
Henderson, Nevada (KLAS) — A 2-year-old girl drowned after entering the pool unattended. The mother now claims that her death could have been prevented if the doors and pool gates had been repaired.
According to a proceeding filed in the district court, the Nevae Commission was staying at his father’s house when he drowned in the pool on January 31, 2020.
“The last thing I said to my daughter was to have her repeat,’I’m as beautiful as I am now,'” Nevae’s mother, Angelica Jones, told Team I.
Jones dropped his daughter to his father’s house and said goodbye, just as any other toddler was taking care of.
“I couldn’t really hug her the way I wanted,” Jones lamented. “She hugged me quickly and ran away with her dad.”
According to the proceedings, Nevae took a nap at 11:00 am. Less than an hour later, at 11:40, the family noticed that the back door was open.
“She slipped out of the house,” Jones said.
According to a report by Coroner, Clark County, cited in the proceedings, “Rear Slider [door] Without locking in the backyard [the] The family uses a piece of wood to secure it. The decedent can open the door himself when the piece of wood is not in place. “
The report also states that the gate to the pool area is broken, saying “the decedent was able to get underneath.”
The lawsuit said Nebea left the house through the back door, entered the pool area through a hole in the gate connected to a mesh fence, and was found face down in the pool.
“She’s in the pool, and no one really tells me what happened to me or how long she’s been in the pool,” Jones shared.
The family found a flies in the pool and tried CPR. She was taken to Henderson Hospital, where she was sentenced to death.
According to Jones and coroners, Nevae often chased family dogs, and she may have chased pets to the pool area. Investigators found no defects in the pool or the water in it. This may have contributed to the girl’s death, the report explains.
“Everything should have reached the standard,” Jones said. “They should be fixed.”
Records show that her proceedings were filed against the real estate owner, management company, Nevae’s father and his fiancée.
In an objection filed by Nevae’s father and fiancé, they said they demanded a “complete repair” from the real estate owner when he moved four years ago.
“At the start of the rental, mutual complaints demanded a complete repair of the property from the property owner … because the property was in a dilapidated and dangerous state,” the document said. “This request has been made many times to rental agents. [who] Represented the owner. Despite numerous requests, no repairs were made. “
According to court documents, the homeowner lives in California.
“They repeatedly asked the owner to come and repair, and he refused,” said Jones lawyer Dennis Prince. “If we could prevent the death of another person because of this proceeding, we would have achieved our greater goal.”
Prince points out the Clark County Code, which requires facilities with pools and spas to maintain safety standards, including mesh fencing, door latches, and their maintenance.Clark County “ 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code” A product of the International Code Council. The code outlines the need for maintained fencing or another barrier.
In addition, the city of Henderson Has its own code requirements“The fencing or other barriers required to enclose the pool and spa must be properly maintained as specified in the Southern Nevada Pool Code valid at the time of pool construction,” he said.
Nevae will be three years old today. The coroner’s office lists her cause of death as accidental drowning.
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 10 people are drowning and dying every day in the United States. About one in five and two in one of these deaths are children under the age of 14.
I-Team contacted the real estate owner’s lawyer and the real estate management company, but did not receive a response.