Denver, Colorado 2022-07-04 16:12:53 –
Highlands Ranch, Colorado – Late Sunday night, improperly discarded fireworks at the Highlands Ranch ignited a garage at home, South Metro Fire Rescue officials said in a news release on Monday.
At around 10:40 pm on Sunday, both smoke odors and smoke detectors warned homeowners that something had ignited in a house on Kitty Wake Street. When they went to investigate, they found a plastic trash can burning and the fire spreading rapidly, fire officials said.
Residents evacuated and called 911, telling first responders that their cats could not be found anywhere.
Update: Firefighters quickly extinguished the completely swallowed garage and prevented the flames from spreading throughout the house. All crew members evacuated safely without injury. Firefighters rescued a cat and treated it with oxygen. The cause is under investigation. pic.twitter.com/scFHe5BZpA
— South Metro Fire Rescue (@SouthMetroPIO) July 4, 2022
By the time the firefighters arrived at the scene, the garage of the three cars had been completely swallowed, but the first responder could immediately deal with the fire and could not spread the fire to the living space of the building. was.
Homeowners reportedly told first responders that fireworks were used outdoors and felt cool to the touch when placed in a plastic trash can in the garage.
After the flames were extinguished, a cat was found and treated with oxygen on the spot while searching for a smoke-filled house. Fire officials said the fire lost the garage and many personal belongings.
When igniting fireworks outside the house, SMFR is using a bucket of water, a garden hose filled with water with nozzles, and / or fireworks in case of an accident. It is recommended to have a fire extinguisher nearby.
They said that when the fireworks had cooled and were ready to be dumped in the trash, they would first soak them in a bucket of water overnight and leave the bucket outside, away from plants, root coverings, or structures. The next morning, throw the contents of the wet bucket into a sturdy trash bag, double-pack it to keep the fireworks moist, and dispose of it the day the trash is collected.
The Arapa Hore Rescue Patrol and the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office assisted the South Metro fire in responding to the fire.
Denver 7+ Colorado News Latest Headlines | July 4th, 11am
Improperly discarded fireworks destroy home garage Source link Improperly discarded fireworks destroy home garage