Las Vegas

In a lawsuit, a Las Vegas man’s family claims police caused death – Las Vegas, Nevada

Las Vegas, Nevada 2020-10-09 23:00:00 –


Roy Scott shows what he took from the video in this screenshot before being handcuffed by the police.

A federal proceeding filed in Las Vegas this week accused a 65-year-old man with paranoid schizophrenia of being held in his knees for 95 seconds and exerting unnecessary pressure on his back and neck.

Last year, the Clark County Autopsy Department ruled that Roy Anthony Scott’s death in police detention was due to methamphetamine poisoning, with paranoid schizophrenia and cardiovascular disease playing an important role.

However, by showing body camera footage and expert testimony that the jury has never released, the Scott family’s legal team said police officers’ actions contributed significantly to his death on March 3, 2019. I aim to prove that I have done it.

“It was a detention to find out the cause of his death, including the weight of his back and neck,” lawyer Peter Gouldstein said in a telephone interview and email on Friday.

Scott called police to an apartment near Sahara Avenue and Valley View Boulevard around 3 am on the day of his death. Metro told 911 dispatchers last year that there were men standing outside the unit, at least one of whom was armed.

Officers Kyle Smith and Theodore Huntsman arrived and found nothing unusual and knocked on Scott’s upstairs apartment. According to police, he initially refused to leave and told him to kick the door, but they didn’t because he couldn’t hear the internal turmoil.

According to police, policemen walked downstairs and Scott came out with a metal pipe. He did so when they told him to drop it.

Asked if he was armed, Scott replied no, but handed the knife in his pocket to the police. He apologized and stated that he had paranoid schizophrenia.

According to a video released by Metro, police officers tried to handcuff him to search for Scott further, but he resisted and left him alone, “Why are you doing this to me?” Is it? ”

He said “please” 63 times in 8 minutes “before it got stuck”.

Goldstein, who filed a proceeding on Wednesday on behalf of Roy Anthony Scott’s daughter Rochelle Scott, said he had obtained additional footage that was not publicly broadcast.

According to the complaint, four minutes after the first knees on Scott’s neck and back, he appears to have had “a kind of seizure.”

A few seconds later, Scott heard twice asking for water. According to the complaint, after about a minute, his legs stopped moving, and after a few seconds, he “appeared dead.”

One officer can hear Scott saying he’s still breathing, but another respondent says, “He’s barely breathing.”

About 10 seconds later, Scott appeared unconscious, and a police officer summoned a doctor. Neither the officers nor their backups have ever attempted CPR against Scott.

The ambulance arrived six minutes after being called, and the video shows a doctor doing chest compressions in the car. Scott died at 4:38 am, police said.

“He didn’t commit a crime. He was the one who called the police,” Goldstein said.

Metro said last year both police officers were trained in crisis intervention. “The idea of ​​using that level of power for someone who knows they are ill, not a threat, is unacceptable,” Goldstein said.

Goldstein said he aims to refute the reports of an independent forensic pathologist and a coroner who is a “police procedure expert.”

“The cause of death described in the coroner’s report does not match what is found in bodycams,” Goldstein said.

The 9-count complaint nominates Metro, Smith, Huntsman, and unidentified police officers. The claims include excessive power, battery, negligence and discrimination against persons with disabilities.

The Metro Policy stipulates that it will not comment on the proceedings in dispute.

Obviously, we want justice, Goldstein said, pointing out that Scott’s daughter was suffering from her loss. “We want the jury to decide on this case, not public opinion.”

Source link

Back to top button