Boston

Jamaica Pond closed due to dangerous algae – Boston, Massachusetts

Boston, Massachusetts 2022-05-23 20:22:42 –


local

Blue-green algae can make humans and animals sick.

The Jamaican Pond is the largest body of water in an emerald necklace. David Lyon

Authorities issued a public health recommendation for Jamaican ponds on Monday due to suspected blue-green algae flowering. Also known as cyanobacteria. According to one release, this “harmful algal bloom” can produce toxins that make humans and their pets sick.

Park visitors are required to avoid contact with water and algae-rich areas, even on the beach.

Water activity is temporarily prohibited in the pond. This includes swimming, fishing, boating, or other recreational activities. Dogs are also prohibited from swimming or drinking in the water of the pond.

“If you, your child, or your dog come into contact with an outbreak of water or algae, wash it off immediately,” the release advised.

Blue-green algae form harmful blue-green algae in lakes, ponds and rivers. It makes the water muddy and sometimes looks like pea soup or paint. Bloom now looks like a dull green discoloration that “may be confused with otherwise safe pond water.” Harmful toxins produced by blue-green algae can be present in real algae cells or in water.

According to people familiar with the matter, the main concern of the general public is the intake of water containing this algae while swimming. Direct skin contact and inhalation of droplets containing or with “secondary concerns” algae. The dog’s main concern is whether water intake or pond scum has invaded the fur.

Contact can cause skin and eye irritation. Inhalation can cause respiratory irritation. It can also worsen existing respiratory conditions. Toxins are not observed through the skin.

Symptoms of people who consume blue-green algae are gastrointestinal symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea. Symptoms can be more severe if the algae produce toxins. Small pets are particularly vulnerable due to their small weight. Some toxins can even cause the liver, kidneys, or even the nervous system to malfunction, which can be fatal.

“If your dog is around the blue-green algae and shows symptoms such as vomiting, staggering, drooling, and cramps, contact your veterinarian immediately. These symptoms will appear soon after exposure. It is known to eat stranded scum and lick scum from fur. In Massachusetts and many other states, dog deaths from ingestion of harmful algae have been recorded, “Release said. I am.

Algae outbreaks can last for weeks during the summer, but they can disappear quickly. The Boston Public Health Commission (BPHC) and the Massachusetts Public Health Service (DPH) will coordinate in the coming weeks to address this issue. Water samples should be taken and tested before establishing a timeline for when the advisory will end.



Jamaica Pond closed due to dangerous algae Source link Jamaica Pond closed due to dangerous algae

Back to top button