Wichita, Kansas 2021-10-10 16:00:17 –
Wichita, Kansas (KSNW) —Sheriffs in Kansas are trying to spread the word about suspicious text messages after two members of the community have told him about it.
Ford County Sheriff Bill Carr says the text message comes from a suspicious phone number that appears to be in the Kansas Department of Revenue.
He says the text message looks like this:
The Kansas Department of Revenue – (Driver’s License Office) needs to verify your driver’s license details for a security upgrade to your system. Failure to verify the details can result in suspension of the license. Verify the details below now! :
(Hyperlink to the site) “
Suspicious text message
In a Facebook post, Kerr said: “Don’t click the link – – This is a scam! Do not click the link to verify Repeat.“”
He also included this advice:
- Remember to trust your instincts
- If it feels incorrect, it’s probably incorrect
- Do not provide personal information over the phone or the internet unless absolutely necessary
- Don’t let anyone tell you to pay bonds or legal costs over the phone
- Do not send funds via Paypal, Vinmo, gift cards, music cards, etc.
- Stay vigilant
Carr wants to call law enforcement if he has any questions or concerns.
Kansas sheriff warns of text message scam Source link Kansas sheriff warns of text message scam