Las Vegas, Nevada 2022-05-05 11:41:05 –
Las Vegas (KLAS) — The Kentucky Derby will be fully attended this year with 45,000 participants.
I know there are lots of horses, hats and mint julep, but there are also lots of good food.
Head Derby chef Kenneth Hardiman has set aside time to show off one of his favorite simple recipes that uses sweet Vidalia onions to turn into delicious tarts. The recipe, and other recipes, are below.here Link with additional Kentucky Derby recipe.
Vidalia Onion and Bourbon Tarte Tatin
3TB SP unsalted butter
2TB SP granulated sugar
2 lbs vidahlia onion, half sideways, 2 inch thick slices
1Tsp Kosher Salt
¼ Cup Woodford Reserve Bourbon (Favorite Bourbon)
1 piece Frozen Puff Pastry (Pepperidge Farm) Thaw
Cracked black pepper as needed
2 teaspoons fresh thyme, split
4 oz.Monchevre, crushed goat cheese
Local honey as needed
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Melt unsalted butter in a 12-inch oven-proof frying pan (cast iron or non-stick pan) over medium to low heat. Swirl to coat the bottom. Disperse the sugar evenly in the melted butter.
3. Put 12-14 halves of onion in the butter mixture in a frying pan, side down so that the sides touch. Cut the remaining onions in half, place them, and place these cuts in the gap between the onions in the frying pan, side down.
4. Cover the onions, cook for 8-10 minutes and season the top of the onions with kosher salt and 1 tablespoon. Water on the way. Add bourbon and 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme and spread evenly over the onion mixture. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the onions are caramelized. Removed from the heat.
5. Roll the pastry sheet into a 12 inch square on a lightly dusted surface. Cut into 12 inch rounds. Place the pastry on top of the onions in the frying pan.
6. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and immediately flip over to the serving plate. Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes. Cut into 6 pie slices and top with goat cheese crumble and the rest of the chopped thyme. Serve with local honey on top.
Vidalia onion and short rib soup (Yield: 12-10 oz serving each)
5 ea Vidalia Onions, julienne
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup sherry vinegar
½ cup red wine
Chopped ½ cup roasted garlic
2TB SP soy sauce
¼ cup fresh thyme, rosemary does not chop stems
1 quart demiglace
1 gallon chicken stock
1TB SP.Kosher salt
½ TBSP.Black pepper
2½ pounds.Small beef ribs
- Add oil to a small pan or Dutch oven over medium heat and add Vidalia.
- Season the onions evenly with sugar, cook the onions gently to release the liquid,
Continue cooking until it becomes caramelized and brown.
- Deglaze the pot with wine, vinegar, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add a mixture of roasted garlic, thyme and rosemary.
- Let’s cook for 5 minutes.
- Add demiglace sauce and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and simmer on medium to high heat for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the diced ribs.
- Enjoy with croutons and finely chopped Swiss cheese!
Vidalia onion, broad bent bacon, mushroom bread pudding (Yield: 8 servings)
2TB SP unsalted butter
1 pound of broad bent bacon, medium diced
½ cup sherry wine
1½ pounds.Vidalia onions, shredded
1½ pounds.Shiitake mushrooms
2 tablespoons.Chopped garlic
¼ cup fresh basil, siphonade
2 TBSP Fresh thyme leaves, do not chop stems
Chopped ¼ cup of fresh parsley
Kosher salt as needed
Cracked black pepper as needed
6 large eggs each
3 cups heavy cream (40%)
1 cup Parmesan Noregiano, grated
8 cups of croissants, cut into large pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.Grease the butter and an 8-inch square baking dish
- Cook bacon in a large sauté pan over medium to high heat until crispy.To remove
Leave the bacon and bacon fat in the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan over medium to high heat, bidaria onions, chopped garlic,
Boil the shiitake mushrooms until they become caramel.
- Pour sherry wine into Sauté Pan, remove the glaze and scrape off all brown areas.
- Add basil, parsley and thyme and stir. Remove from heat, add cooked bacon and stir —
Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix eggs, cream, cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 with a whisk.
A teaspoon of pepper. Add a large croissant and toss to coat.Leave the mixture
- Add the Vidalia onion mushroom mixture to the custard base and stir.
Pudding on the prepared baking dish. After stacking one layer of wrap,
Bake with a layer of foil for 40 minutes,
- Remove the pudding from the oven, remove the wrap and foil cover, and replace it.
Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the pudding is browned
I was conceited.