Las Vegas

Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada helps Las Vegas residents concerned about evictions – Las Vegas, Nevada

Las Vegas, Nevada 2021-06-12 20:19:52 –

Las Vegas (KTNV) — Many Las Vegas residents are worried that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s peasant eviction moratorium will expire at the end after failing to pay rent or mortgages. this month.

Therefore, the Southern Nevada Legal Aid Center has partnered with the Las Vegas-Clark County Library District (LVCCLD) to provide free legal assistance at designated library branches after the Nevada peasant eviction ban has been lifted. Provided.

Some inhabitants appeared to them.

“I’m worried that the landlord will kick me out. I applied many times but couldn’t get a job. I’m just picking it up here in Las Vegas so it won’t work. It’s too long, but a lot in the meantime. I have a backrent, “said Dawn, a worried resident.

She signed up for the CaresHousingAnd Assistance Program (CHAP) and while waiting for an answer, she got a good one about her case at the pop-up clinic.

Last week, Governor Steve Sisolak signed AB 486. This allows many residents like Dawn to stay at home.

It says that if you apply for rental assistance and you are just waiting, it will get married to the eviction process. So did you notify the court? If you receive an eviction notice, you can notify the court that you are waiting for CHAP, which will suspend the eviction process, process your application, and ideally receive monetary payments. ” Jim Berchtold of the Southern Legal Assistance Center said.

When you receive a eviction notice, it’s also essential to get a response from the court.

Every situation is different, but experts say the most important thing is to be proactive.

Here are the steps that a tenant who receives a move-out notice can take to protect their rights:

  1. Submit a tenant response or risk receiving an eviction order. Residents can access the online answer form from home safety without having to go to court. Las Vegas residents can also send electronic files from the comfort of their home.
  2. Request mediation. Free mediation is available, but tenants must select it when filling out the tenant response form. Be sure to attend the court hearing and mediation day.
  3. Apply for the CARES Housing Support Program (CHAP). If you have already applied, please check your CHAP account to make sure the information is updated and complete.
  4. Give the landlord a CDC declaration If you haven’t done this yet.

The Legal Aid Center has created a step-by-step video explaining how to prepare tenant answers online.Video is available at at risk of eviction can contact or visit the Legal Aid Center at 702-386-1070 For more information.

Source link

Back to top button