Cleveland, Ohio 2021-02-22 20:04:39 –
(NEXSTAR) – A Michigan Contracted woman COVID-19 (new coronavirus infection) (# If there is no character limit, add parentheses when it first appears Doctors say he died two months after receiving a double lung transplant from someone who was later found to be infected with the coronavirus.
This case is believed to be the first recorded case of SARS-CoV-2 infection through a donated organ, according to reports from. American Journal of Transplantation..
“If the COVID test was positive, we would never have used the lungs,” says Dr. Daniel Kaul, lead author of the University of Michigan School of Medicine’s Transplant Infectious Diseases Service. Told Kaiser Health News..
The donor was a woman from the northern Midwest, who was hospitalized and eventually sentenced to brain death after a car accident. Studies show that she underwent a nasal swab test within 48 hours of transplantation, which was negative.
The recipient suffers from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and was negative before the transplant surgery last fall.
By the third day after the transplant, the woman had worse fever, hypotension, and difficulty breathing. When she developed septic shock, her doctor requested another coronavirus test and she turned out to be positive.
The doctor then re-examined the donor in a laboratory at the University of Michigan. This time, I used a liquid collected from the deep part of the lungs. Women were also positive.
The transplant recipient died 61 days after receiving the new lung.
Four days after surgery, the surgeon who performed the transplant also tested positive for COVID-19, but later recovered. Surgeons did not need to wear an N95 mask or eye protection during surgery because both patients were initially negative for the coronavirus.
According to doctors, the transmission of unexpected infections from donors to recipients is extremely rare and occurs in less than 1% of patients.
The study called for the use of a deep lung fluid test called bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL), as well as a nasal swab, and the use of enhanced protective equipment for hospital staff involved in the transplant.
Suggest a fix
Michigan woman dies after receiving COVID-infected lungs in transplant Source link Michigan woman dies after receiving COVID-infected lungs in transplant