USA

Minneapolis removes barricades and re-passes George Floyd Square | George Floyd

Part of a memorial space built at the Minneapolis South Crossing George Floyd He was killed by a white police officer and taken out by workers Thursday morning.

The city confirmed to the Guardian that the barricade had been removed to resume traffic at the intersection. Reporter on the ground We confirmed the existence of a large number of workers early in the morning.Demolition work Seemed to have stopped inside A few hours.

Floyd, 46, was killed by a white man Minneapolis Police officer Derek Chauvin in May 2020. Shortly after the incident, community members turned the intersection where Floyd died into a public mourning space called George Floyd Square. The space, which has become a de facto autonomous region where city police have been stranded, features community art and sculpture, and frequent performances and protests.

A city spokeswoman, Sarah MacKensie, described the work as “a community-led reconnection process through city support activities” in an email. She added that more information about the work will be released in the future and that “George Floyd’s Works of Art and Monuments” will be preserved.

In April, former police officer Derek Chauvin was convicted of a second-class murder over Floyd’s death. New effort Reopen the intersection that was the center of the murder trial. City Mayor Jacob Frey Said in may After Floyd’s death, he said he would support a “gradual reopening” of the intersection.

Last September, the city council passed unanimously. Renamed the intersection after George FloydHowever, some activists argued that the long-term future of this universe should remain an “autonomous region” indefinitely, causing tensions in the region. Increase in violent crime In the area.

People gather at George Floyd Square to commemorate the first anniversary of their murder in Minneapolis on May 25. Photo: Nicholas Fossi / Reuters

Before this In the year, the city announced plans to create a permanent memorial space at the intersection to preserve works of art and community greenhouses. Announced many interim design options..

In February, the city said 81% of locals and workers supported the design plan, adding that the Floyd Family Foundation was involved in the plan’s efforts.

In March, Minneapolis settled a record $ 27 million in civil lawsuit with the Floyd family. This includes a $ 500,000 donation to the community around the intersection.

Minneapolis Star Tribune Reported on thursday The city will hold a media briefing late in the morning to explain how the decision to start cleaning work was made.



Minneapolis removes barricades and re-passes George Floyd Square | George Floyd

Source link Minneapolis removes barricades and re-passes George Floyd Square | George Floyd

Back to top button