Tampa, Florida 2021-01-14 06:06:29 –
Moderna struggles to find children aged 12 to 17 to participate in the COVID-19 vaccine trial
A shortage of volunteers can delay vaccination for that age group. Most children usually do not have severe cases of COVID-19, but they can still spread the virus.
Only 800 children sign up for Tria each month, and at least 3,000 participants are required to get FDA approval.
Participants should do the following:
- Being 12 to 17 years old
- I have never tested positive for COVID-19
- Be healthy
Participants must not:
- Have traveled outside the United States in the past month
- Participated in another trial last month
- Currently a smoker or has a history of smoking
The total duration of study participation is just over a year (13 months) and includes 6 research visits to the research clinic and 2 telephone or video visits with the research doctor.
- Research volunteers are injected into the upper arm twice at monthly intervals. Each research volunteer has the opportunity to receive either the mRNA-1273 research vaccine or a placebo. This random allocation has a 2: 1 ratio. This means that you have a 67% chance of receiving a research vaccine.
- Research volunteers have a nasal swab prior to each research injection to test the presence of COVID-19.
- Research volunteers receive a phone call from the investigator for each injection and then monitor the symptoms of COVID-19 monthly thereafter. During these calls, investigators and medical staff will check how each investigator feels and ask for up-to-date information on their health.
- Research volunteers will be required to complete weekly entries on COVID-19 symptoms using the eDiary app on their smartphones or provided smartphones during the study period.
- Research volunteers will make their final visit to the research clinic approximately 12 months after the date of the second injection.
Investigators and medical staff will always tell you and your child about the additional medical support your child will receive if they experience COVID-19 symptoms during this clinical trial. No insurance is required to participate in this clinical trial, and your time coverage will be available.
You will need to take your child to one of the research clinics participating in this clinical trial. The site is located at:
- Meridian, Idaho, USA
- Houston, Texas, USA
- San Antonio, Texas, USA
- (Not recruited yet) Syracuse, NY, USA
- (Recruitment) West Jordan, Utah, USA
- (Recruitment) Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- (Not recruited yet) Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
- (Not recruited yet) Banning, CA, USA
- (Not recruited yet) San Antonio, Texas, USA
- (Not recruited yet) Valparaiso, Indiana, USA
- (Not recruited yet) La Mesa, California, USA
Click here for more information.
Moderna in need of more kids 12-17 for vaccine trial Source link Moderna in need of more kids 12-17 for vaccine trial