Riverside, California 2021-10-04 14:45:00 –
Corpus Christi, Texas-Fire Protection Week begins October 3rd and lasts until October 9th. This year’s campaign has the theme of “learning the sounds of fire safety.” This year’s campaign works to better educate the general public about the sounds emitted by smoke detectors, their meaning, and how to deal with them, from beeps to chirps.
According to the latest National Fire Protection Association “US Smoke Detector” Acting smoke detectors at home, reportedly, reduces the risk of death from a reported fire by more than half. However, three in five home fire deaths occur in homes without smoke detectors (41%) or homes with smoke detectors not working (16%). The most common causes of smoke detector failure are power loss or malfunction, such as battery loss or disconnection, battery exhaustion, wired alarm disconnection, or other AC power problems.
“People’s health and safety are my top priorities,” says Mayor Paulette M. Guajardo. “We know that smoke detectors can save lives, so it’s important to activate smoke alarms and know the different sounds to keep you safe.”
Randy Page, a fire marshal at the Corpus Christi Fire Department (CCFD), said: “Knowing the different sounds of smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms can save you, your home, and your family. Learn the different sounds of smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, It’s important to take action. “
CCFD wants to share safety tips to help you “learn the sounds of fire safety”.
- Three loud beeps in a row means smoke or fire. Four loud beeps in a row means that carbon monoxide has been detected. Go outside, call 9-1-1 and go outside.
- One chirp every 30 or 60 seconds means that the battery is low and needs to be replaced.
- Test all smoke and CO alarms monthly. Press the test button to verify that the alarm is working.
- All smoke alarms need to be replaced after 10 years.
- CO alarms also have a “end of life” sound that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. This means it’s time to get a new CO alarm.
- If it keeps ringing after you replace the battery, it means that the alarm has reached the end of its life and you need to replace the unit.
- If you have a hearing-impaired or hearing-impaired person in your family, install a bed shaker and strobe light alarm to alert them to fire.
For more information, media representatives can contact Public Relations Manager Robert Gonzalez (361-826-3233) or email ( firstname.lastname@example.org
National Fire Prevention Week Is October 3 through October 9 Source link National Fire Prevention Week Is October 3 through October 9