Santa Ana, California 2021-01-14 11:43:07 –
Santa Ana, CA-Orange County District Attorney’s Office has completed a review of the Sheriff’s Evidence Reservation Audit.
In mid-November 2019, District Attorney Todd Spitzer became aware of the scope of evidence booking issues within the Orange County Sheriff’s Office (OCSD) and the existence of department-wide internal audit. District Attorney Spitzer was previously unaware of the scope of these audits and only noticed this issue on November 15, 2019, when informed by a local newspaper reporter. The OCSD believes the OCDA should have known, but the OCDA is wondering why it made it so difficult for the Sheriff’s Office to understand the scope of the evidence reservation issue.
Upon learning the full audit, District Attorney Spitzer immediately requested additional information on criminal cases that could be affected by the Sheriff’s Office, and the District Attorney’s Office said, “All cases handled by OCDA in the defendant’s due process. The rights to the process may have been adversely affected by collecting evidence but not booking. “
District Attorney Spitzer also instructed two senior prosecutors to oversee the office’s response. Due to a flaw in the sheriff’s audit, district attorney Spitzer ordered a manual investigation of all convicted cases over the three years from March 2015 to March 2018, and evidence was collected. Determined if there were any incidents that were not collected. Reserved.
- A total of 22,289 cases were reviewed by a joint team of OCSD and DA researchers.
- 3,639 notifications to defense lawyers in potentially affected cases (both active and closed cases)
- Indictments reduced or dismissed in 67 cases
- Two former OCSD agents have been convicted of misdemeanor and a third former agent is awaiting felony charges of felony filing a false police report.
- All DNA profiles associated with potentially affected cases identified in the Sheriff’s Evidence Reservation Audit will be cleared from the OCDA DNA database.
OCDA reports on the issue of evidence reservation in the sheriff’s department can be found here..
Check out Etsy’s custom stickers from Becky Pedroza, a graduate of Santa Ana High School!
New Santa Ana | The OCDA reduced or dismissed charges in 67 cases due to OC Sheriff’s Department shenanigans Source link New Santa Ana | The OCDA reduced or dismissed charges in 67 cases due to OC Sheriff’s Department shenanigans