Honolulu

Nishimoto leaves Public Works | Hawaii Tribune-Herald – Honolulu, Hawaii

Honolulu, Hawaii 2021-04-08 06:28:23 –

Mayor Mitch Ross lost his first chief executive officer in just four months after his four-year term, and Merrick Nishimoto resigned as Deputy Director of the Public Works Bureau.

Nishimoto left the county on March 23, according to the Human Resources Department.

“When you look at all the administrations, people change,” said Bobby Commando, deputy managing director, on Monday. “I knew him for a very long time — he’s from Kona. I have the utmost respect for him and I’m sorry he’s no longer in the county.”

Headquarters attributed Nishimoto’s resignation to differences in management style between the vice president and directors. Nishimoto did not respond to the voicemail by Monday’s press conference.

Nishimoto’s departure leaves a gap in West Hawaii’s public works. There, authorities often appreciate Kona’s residents who serve in the malicious sector.

Public Works Director Ikaika Rodenhurst is from Puna. He was confirmed by a majority of the slim 5-4 county council, and most members of the West Hawaii Council voted against his confirmation.

“It’s a well-known fact that I believe that the new director didn’t have the necessary qualifications for the charter to take up that position. Without Merrick there, I would be with our DPW department. I’m even more worried about the well-being of the staff, “said Councilor Rebecca Villegas. “Merrick has decades of experience and has a legacy of serving the county with honor, honesty, humility, and servant leadership.”

The deputy director is not facing council confirmation.

“I can’t discuss this HR issue because of my respect and consideration for Merrick,” Rodenhurst said on Monday.

Nishimoto’s resignation also opposes the government’s voluntary deadline of July 26 to implement a long-deferred $ 2.5 million Energov computer system to facilitate public works and planning permits. Therefore, it shortens the important management of the department during the important period.

Command said Rodenhurst was in control of the search for a new agent.

“We are looking at the entire island,” Command said.

Nishimoto was previously the Deputy Director of the DPW’s Lava Emergency Response and Restoration Work, which pays about $ 126,000 a year, under former Mayor Harry Kim.

He then worked as a project manager for Hualalai Investments LLC before returning to the county.

Send an email to Nancy Cook Lauer at ncook-lauer@westhawaiitoday.com.



Nishimoto leaves Public Works | Hawaii Tribune-Herald Source link Nishimoto leaves Public Works | Hawaii Tribune-Herald

Back to top button