Kansas City

Officer dead, suspect killed in violence outside Pentagon | News – Kansas City, Missouri

Kansas City, Missouri 2021-08-03 19:10:46 –

Washington (AP) — Pentagon police officer died after being stabbed during a violent outburst at a transit center outside the building on Tuesday, and the suspect was shot by law enforcement and died on the scene, the Pentagon said. Said on Tuesday.

The Pentagon, the headquarters of the U.S. military, was temporarily blocked shortly after 10:30 am after someone attacked a police officer on a bus platform. Subsequent violence, including a series of shootings, resulted in “several casualties.” Kusse, head of the Pentagon’s Military Protection Agency, responsible for facility security.

The deaths of police officers and suspects were first confirmed by non-authorized officials to discuss the matter and spoke to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity. Fairfax County Police also tweeted condolences about the police’s death. Officials said they believed two bystanders were injured.

The suspect was identified by law enforcement officers as 27 years old in Austin William Lantz, Georgia.

According to two law enforcement officers, the policeman was ambushed by Lantz, who ran towards him and stabbed him in the neck. The corresponding police officer then shot and killed Lantz. Investigators were still trying to identify the motives for the attack, digging into Lantz’s background, including a potential history of psychosis and why they wanted to target the Pentagon and police officers.

Authorities were unable to discuss the investigation publicly and spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity.

Lantz joined the U.S. Marine Corps in October 2012, but was “administratively separated” in less than a month and never earned the Marine Corps title, the corps said in a statement.

Episodes about the busy spread of the Washington region’s transportation system are on high alert against violence and potential intruders outside federal buildings, especially following the January 6 riots at the Capitol. And confused the nerves of the area already prepared.

At a Pentagon press conference, Kusse refused to confirm that police were killed or even provide basic information about how the violence developed and how many died. He would just say that the cops were attacked and “the shootout was exchanged.”

Kusse and other officials refused to eliminate terrorism or provide other potential motivations. However, Mr. Kusse said the Pentagon complex is safe and “at this point, we are not actively looking for another suspect.” He said the FBI was leading the investigation.

“We can’t compromise on ongoing investigations,” Kusse said.

The FBI was investigating and only confirmed that there was “no ongoing threat to the public,” but did not provide details or possible motives.

Later on Tuesday, the Pentagon’s Armed Forces Protection Agency issued a statement confirming the disappearance of police officers, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin expressed his condolences and said the Pentagon’s flag would be half-masted.

“This corrupt police officer died in the line of duty, worked daily at the Pentagon, and helped protect the tens of thousands of people visiting the Pentagon,” Austin said in a statement. “This tragic death today clearly reminds us of the dangers they face and the sacrifices they make. We are forever grateful for the service and the courage it provides.”

The violence on Tuesday occurred on the Metrobus platform, which is part of the Pentagon Transit Center, a hub for subway and bus routes. The station is right next to the Pentagon building in Arlington County, Virginia, across the Potomac River from Washington.

Associated Press reporters near the building heard multiple gunshots, then pauses, and at least one additional gunshot. Another AP journalist heard police yelling “shooter.”

The Pentagon announced that the facility had been closed, but was lifted after noon, except around the crime scene.

Austin and General Mark Milley, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, were present at the White House meeting with President Joe Biden during the shooting. Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said Austin returned to the building and went to the Pentagon’s police operations center, where he spoke to police officers.

It was not immediately clear if additional security measures would be taken in the area.

In 2010, two Pentagon military protection officers were injured when shooters approached them in a security screening area. The surviving police officer returned the fire and fatally injured a gunner identified as John Patrick Bedel.


Associated Press writer Colleen Long of Washington and Matthew Barakat and Sagar Meghani of Arlington, Virginia contributed to this report.

Copyright 2021 AP communication. all rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.

Officer dead, suspect killed in violence outside Pentagon | News Source link Officer dead, suspect killed in violence outside Pentagon | News

Back to top button