Ousted Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi sentenced to 4 years for alleged public incitement, COVID-19 violations – Honolulu, Hawaii

Honolulu, Hawaii 2021-12-06 01:59:00 –

A Myanmar court today sentenced the exiled civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi to four years’ imprisonment for inciting public anxiety and violations. COVID-19 (new coronavirus infection) protocol. She faces a series of rulings that can keep her locked up for the rest of her life.

Suu Kyi, who was detained in a military coup in February, faces a total of 11 indictments and up to 102 years in prison.

Her trial, which stated that the United Nations and foreign governments were politically motivated, took place in a private inquiry in Myanmar’s capital, Naypyidaw. The junta has banned all five lawyers from speaking to the press, saying their communication could “destabilize the country.”

Suu Kyi, 76, is a flawed hero in a troubled country.

She has been detained as an almost divine figure among Myanmar’s supporters, and she describes her as an advocate of national democracy. She won the Nobel Peace Prize for her fight. However, her reputation on the international stage was hurt by her collusion against the military’s massive atrocities against the Rohingya, a minority group of Islam.

The conviction is likely to invigorate protests that have spurred thousands of people to arm the army since February, when the general took power.

On Sunday morning, a military truck was squeezed into a group of protesters carrying a flag with her portrait and her quote on the streets of Yangon, Myanmar’s most populous city, killing her. At night, protesters continued demonstrating on the street, and residents struck pots and pans to record their anger.

Within months of the coup, people flocked to the streets, doctors and nurses quit their jobs in protest, and many refused to pay taxes in a campaign known as the Civil Disobedience Movement.

Despite the threat of arrest, there is still widespread support for the movement. More and more soldiers have been exiled and are working with armed protesters and rebel groups to launch hit-and-run tactics against the army.

According to the Burmese Political Prisoner Support Association (Burma), a rights organization based in Thailand, the military government responded by cracking down, killing more than 1,300 people and arresting more than 10,600.

To many of her supporters, Suu Kyi was seen as the only politician who could lead Myanmar to full democracy.

In 1962, after the last coup, the army ruled the country for half a century. When Suu Kyi was elected in 2015, she was forced to share power with the army that appointed 25% of Congress. In November 2020, she led the party to victory in the landslide election and defeated the military-backed opposition.

Since she was detained on February 1, she has not been seen in public or talked to anyone other than a lawyer. Hours before she and her colleagues in the National League for Democracy were seated in parliament, military officers accused them of fraudulent votes and detained them. Suu Kyi denied the charges.

Rights activists have accused sedition of being used to intimidate military critics. Anyone who has been sentenced to up to three years’ imprisonment and “will publish or circulate statements, rumors, reports” that “is intended to cause, fear, or warn the general public” will be held liable. It states that there is a possibility.

The alleged violation of the COVID-19 protocol stems from an episode during the 2020 election campaign in which Suu Kyi stood outside wearing a face mask and face shield and waved to a supporter passing by. She faces up to three years’ imprisonment for prosecution.

Prosecutors continued to slap more charges as Suu Kyi’s proceedings proceeded. The verdict submitted on Monday is the first of several to be announced in the coming months.


This article was originally New York Times..

Ousted Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi sentenced to 4 years for alleged public incitement, COVID-19 violations Source link Ousted Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi sentenced to 4 years for alleged public incitement, COVID-19 violations

Back to top button