Panama City, FL –
(NEXSTAR) – Dr Beach is prescribing sun, sand, and maybe even a trip to Hawaii.
Stephen Leatherman, aka “Dr. Beach,” has released his annual list of America’s 10 Best Beaches, and his top pick for 2021 is Hapuna Beach State Park on the Big Island of Hawaii.
Finalists include sunny stretches of beach in the Carolinas, New York City, California, Massachusetts and Florida.
Leatherman, professor and director of Coastal Research at Florida State University, has released his annual list of the best beaches in the country every year since 1991. He makes his choices based on a set of 50 criteria, including categories devoted to sand quality, crowds, noise and cleanliness.
This year, however, he says he hopes his choices encourage Americans to come out and take action as pandemic restrictions loosen for fully vaccinated people. What if that means sailing in Hawaii strict requirements for visitors, so be it.
“Hawaii is a really special place, so I think it’s worth it,” he told The Associated Press.
Can’t make it to Hawaii anytime soon? Dr. Beach has several other suggestions for spots in the United States. Take a look at his full 2021 list below:
- Hapuna Beach State Park, Island of Hawaii
- Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
- Ocracoke Supervised Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
- St. George Island State Park, Franklin County, Florida Panhandle
- Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outer Banks of North Carolina
- Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
- Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin and Clearwater, Florida
- Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
- Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
- Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
More information on each beach, and why it ranks among the best of 2021, can be found on Dr. Beach’s official site.
Dr. Beach names top US beaches of 2021 Source link Dr. Beach names top US beaches of 2021