Panama City

Panama City, FL – Panama City leaders discuss progress three years after Hurricane Michael

Panama City, FL –

PANAMA CITY, Fla. (WMBB) – Panama City, city officials said Hurricane Michael tested the resilience of this community beyond belief.

Panama City was devastated by Hurricane Michael in 2018. Much of the city’s infrastructure was destroyed by Storm Cat 5, but now Panama City Mayor Greg Brudnicki has said the city ​​is now able to supply a lot of things that have either been ruined or ended by storm.

“We’re going to take advantage of this situation, because it really took advantage of us,” said Brudnicki.

Brudnicki said Panama City has come a long way in the past three years and hopes they can finish taking over the city in two to four years.

“Is that possible? I don’t know,” Brudnicki said. “But I do know from the funding we should be getting, the ancillary costs and the engineering it will take to get us to the point of repairing and to fix whatever is feasible. “

He adds that Panama City should receive more funds to repair roads damaged by Hurricane Michael and its aftermath.

“We have $ 113 million from the state of which 80% has to be repaid – the remaining 20% ​​is a grant that we only start repaying after about 6 months after we get it, then it’s a loan without interest for the state to use that money and it will probably totally repair 40% of the city’s roads, “Brudnicki said.” We won’t be able to do everything, but we can do whatever is damaged. “

Brudnicki said officials as well as residents should have hope for the city’s future.

“We are really going to do, as our illustrious city manager says, create the first town in the Panhandle,” said Brudnicki.

Panama City leaders discuss progress three years after Hurricane Michael Source link Panama City leaders discuss progress three years after Hurricane Michael

Back to top button