Albuquerque, New Mexico 2021-09-21 16:53:11 –
Albuquerque, New Mexico (KRQE) – State education authorities Albakirk Public School After alleged theft of over a million dollars. Cheryl Williams Stapleton She has been accused of cheating money while she was director of career and technical education at APS.
Congressman Cheryl Williams Stapleton’s coverage / story continues below
- Complete warrant: Cheryl Williams Stapleton Search Warrant “Payment OK”
- “Legisers, not legislators”: Legislative investigation process of Congressman Stapleton
- Congressman NM demands greater transparency in legislative budget spending
- Racketeering, Stapleton MP under investigation on suspicion of money laundering
- reissue: State officials violate APS policy by collecting salaries while playing a legislative role
Investigators believe she sent the money to a company called Robotics, which promised to create educational software for the district. The New Mexico Department of Public Education says it broke some rules when APS gave Robotics a free bid. APS will need to update procurement procedures, strengthen control to prevent fraud and waste, and hire independent monitors to monitor changes.
In a letter sent to APS director Scott Elder on Tuesday, Secretary of Education Kurtstein House filled the district before receiving federal CTE funding from 2021 to 2022, according to news released by NMPED. I have listed the following four conditions that must be met.
- APS needs to review and update federal procurement procedures to strengthen control to ensure better separation of duties against fraud, waste, and abuse.
- With the approval of the public education sector, APS should implement revised policies and procedures and train staff to comply with them.
- APS should hire an independent auditor approved by the Public Education Department to monitor conflict of interest policies and federal procurement procedures in the CTE program.
- The APS must specify a point person who will be in regular contact with the Public Education Department until October 1st, until the conditions are lifted.
According to the news release, Steinhouse will give the district to submit accounts for all payments made to Robotics between fiscal year 2016 and fiscal year 2021, in addition to the four terms, until October 15th. I did.
PED increasing oversight of APS Career and Technical Education Source link PED increasing oversight of APS Career and Technical Education