Tampa

Pentagon reverses itself, calls deadly Kabul strike an error – Tampa, Florida

Tampa, Florida 2021-09-17 15:29:29 –

Washington (AP) — The Pentagon withdrew from defense of a drone attack that killed multiple civilians in Afghanistan last month.

On Friday, an internal review announced that only civilians were killed in the attack, not the first believed Islamic state militants.

according to Associated Press, 10 civilians were killed, including 7 children.

“That was a tragic mistake,” General Frank Mackenzie, commander of the US Central Army, said at a press conference on Friday.

In the days following the August 29 strike, Pentagon officials claimed it was done correctly, despite the killings of many civilians, including children.

On Friday, General Mackenzie said he was fully responsible for the tragic consequences and expressed his condolences to the victims’ families.

“I would like to extend my deepest condolences to the families and friends of the murdered people,” said General Mackenzie. “This strike was made with the serious belief that it would prevent an imminent threat to our troops and airport evacuees, but it was a mistake and we sincerely apologize.”

The press later questioned that version of the event, supporting the Pentagon’s claim that the driver of the targeted vehicle was a longtime employee of an American humanitarian organization and that the vehicle contained explosives. He mentioned that there was no evidence.



Pentagon reverses itself, calls deadly Kabul strike an error Source link Pentagon reverses itself, calls deadly Kabul strike an error

Back to top button