Fresno, California 2021-10-12 09:31:11 –
A PG & E official said the power would be cut off as a strong wind blew through to prevent a wildfire.
“We did this to prevent the risk of a wildfire in the area,” said Denny Boyles, a PG & E spokesman. “Despite the recent rains, we were only dry and drought, but observations on the ground made us believe that there was still a risk of fire.”
The planned closure begins on Monday morning, and almost 24 hours later, some residents are still out of power.
People living in the western part of the Central Valley, including the rural areas of Koringa, Avenal and Los Banos, remain under planned power outages.
Some customers have also experienced outages that were not part of the PG & E public security power outage.
The utility company’s website showed small outages scattered throughout the valley, from Merced to Corcoran south. Several larger outages have been reported near the Tall House and east of Orange Cove.
The crew is working to restore power in these areas.
In areas where public security is disrupted, it is expected that electricity will not be supplied until at least 10 pm.
If affected, PG & E has issued the following tips:
- Use your mobile or wired phone. Cordless phones will not work without electricity.
- Use a battery-powered flashlight instead of a candle. There is a risk of fire.
- Unplug or turn off all electrical and heat generating equipment (air conditioners, washing machines and dryers, ovens, stoves, irons, etc.) to prevent circuit overload. Overloaded circuits are at risk of fire when power is restored.
- Unplug the TV or computer you were using when the power was turned off.
- Leave one lamp on to warn you when power is back.
- Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed and put an extra container of ice inside to store food. A complete freezer will get colder longer.
- If you have an alarm system, please notify the alarm company. The equipment may be affected by the outage.
- When the condition returns to normal, turn the appliances back on one at a time.
- After power is restored, reset the clock, thermostat, and other programmed equipment.
Details: What you need to know about generators before a power outage
Video: Preparing for a long-term power outage
Copyright © 2021 KFSN-TV. all rights reserved.
PG&E power shutoffs: Power outages still affecting thousands after high winds roll through Valley Source link PG&E power shutoffs: Power outages still affecting thousands after high winds roll through Valley