Las Vegas, Nevada 2021-06-08 23:53:57 –
Las Vegas (KLAS) — Today’s 8 On Your Side discusses safety when using public Wi-Fi. With more and more people working from home or traveling, establishing good and secure connections is more important than ever.
Skyroam’s senior marketing manager says the use of portable Wi-Fi stations for people has skyrocketed during the pandemic.
“Your home service may not be as powerful, but it’s also the fact that people are using it much more during the day than ever before. Trying to work at home 2 If you have people and children, even a standard home connection can be a daunting task, “says Skyroam’s marketing manager.
With the increase in remote work, hackers have more opportunities than ever before. This does not mean that you need to be a victim. You can minimize risks and vulnerabilities by following some best practices for using Wi-Fi.
Connecting your phone to Wi-Fi as much as possible may seem like a good idea, but automatic connections make you vulnerable to hackers. Turn off automatic connection when not in use.
- With a mobile virtual private network, this solution not only enhances security, but also acts as a workaround if the network blocks certain websites.
- Restrict file sharing. Some systems, such as airdrop, have seamless file sharing capabilities that can allow someone to steal files in seconds if discovered.
- Think of all public lines as open. If you’re connecting to an unsecured system of unknown security, assume everyone is watching.
- Do not log on to financial sites or access files that you do not want to see.
- Get your own Wi-Fi. Of course, the most secure connection is yours. We recommend that you avoid public Wi-Fi altogether and use your mobile hotspot or your own mobile Wi-Fi device instead.