Minneapolis

Sheriff: Dad of Michigan school shooting suspect bought gun

2021-11-30 22:51:13 –

Oxford Township, Michigan — A 15-year-old sophomore fired at a high school in Michigan on Tuesday, killing three students and injuring eight, including one teacher, officials said.

Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bushar said late Tuesday that investigators were still trying to determine the motive for shooting at Oxford High School in Oxford Township, a community of about 22,000 people about 30 miles (48 km) north of Detroit. Stated.

“It’s not talking that person has the most insight,” Mr. Bushar said in a press conference.

Mr. Bushar said the suspect’s father had purchased the 9mm sigzauer used in the shooting on Friday, adding that he did not know why the man bought the gun. Mr. Bushar said the suspect practiced shooting with a gun and posted pictures of the gun and the target.

Several students injured in the shooting, including a 14-year-old ventilator, are still in danger, according to Bushar.

Sheriff Mike McCabe had previously said he knew that social media allegations had spread to authorities that there was a shooting threat at the school of about 1,700 students before the attack on Tuesday. He warned against believing in the story until the investigator could investigate it.

He also downplayed the importance of the deer head being thrown from the school roof in early November. It has nothing to do with shooting, he said. Due to the vandalism, school managers urged parents to post two letters on the school’s website this month.

Authorities did not immediately disclose the suspect’s name, but McCabe said his agent was within minutes of arriving at school in response to the 911 phone flood of the attack that occurred just before 1 pm. He said he had been arrested. Automatic pistols and several magazines used to store the ammunition used by the suspect in the attack.

“He fired multiple shots,” McCabe said. “Somewhere in the area of ​​15 to 20.”

McCabe said the three students killed were a 16-year-old boy and two girls, 14 and 17 years old.

McCabe said the suspect’s parents had visited his son in custody and advised him not to talk to investigators as well as his rights. Police must ask the boy’s parents or guardians for permission to talk to them, he added.

Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald issued a statement Tuesday evening, stating that her office will be prosecuted promptly and will be updated on Wednesday.

McCabe said he was unaware that the suspect had previously invaded law enforcement and had a history of disciplinary action at school.

Governor Gretchen Whitmer also choked at a press conference, saying, “I think this is the worst nightmare for all parents.”

Prior to speaking at a community college in Rosemount, Minnesota, President Joe Biden said:

After the attack, the school was closed and some children were evacuated to locked classrooms while police were searching the premises. They were later taken to a nearby Meyer grocery store and picked up by their parents.

The district said in a statement that all schools would be closed for the rest of the week.

Isabel Flores, a 15-year-old 9th grader, told WJBK-TV that she and another student heard gunshots and saw another student bleeding from her face. Then they ran from the area through the back of the school, she said.

Investigators said they would look at school video footage, look at social media posts, and look for evidence of possible motivations, McCabe said.

Worried parent Robin Reading said his son Treshan Bryant, a 12th grader at school, was at home on Tuesday. She said he heard a threat that he might have a shooting.

“This can’t just be random,” she said.

Reading did not provide details about what his son had heard, but she generally expressed concern about school safety.

“Like the kids are angry with each other at this school,” she said.

Brian said he felt sick when he sent a text message to a few young cousins ​​in the morning, saying they didn’t want to go to school. He asked his mother if he could do his homework online.

Brian said he had heard vague threats “for a long time” about the shooting plans.

“You aren’t supposed to play about it,” he said of the threat. “This is real life.”

At a rally on Tuesday night at the Lakepoint Community Church, Lee Andersa held back tears while hugging her friends and neighbors. Delsa lived in Oxford for almost all 73 years, and her grandchildren attended high school.

“I scared all of us terrible. It’s terrible,” Delsa said of the shooting. “We have experienced the tragedy of the deaths of young people over the years. We are all helping each other and still love them with them.”

For Greg Hill, that day he twisted his stomach with a knot. His children attended an elementary school in the district, and he took them on alert.

“We are delighted that our children are safe, and now it’s time for the community to heal,” said Hill, 40.

Rev. Jesse Holt said shooting news flooded him and his wife, including texts from some of the 20 to 25 students in the 400 congregation.

“Some are so scared, hiding under the desk,” We’re safe, we’re okay. I heard the gunshots, but we’re okay, “sent us a text message. I did. They were trying to calm us down. “

One student sent a text message saying he was hiding in the bathroom with a boy looking for a shelter.

After the agent arrested the shooter, the girl fled school and was taken to someone living nearby until her mother picked her up, Holt said.

“That’s our community,” he said. “That’s us.”

___

Associated Press writers Cory Williams of West Bloomfield, Michigan, Kathleen Hoody of Chicago, Joshborg of Rosemount, Minnesota, and David Gillar of Oxford Township contributed to this report.

Sheriff: Dad of Michigan school shooting suspect bought gun Source link Sheriff: Dad of Michigan school shooting suspect bought gun

Back to top button