Honolulu, Hawaii 2021-10-21 20:22:00 –
Sacramento, California >> A family in Northern California found dead on a hiking trail near the Merced River, overheating and drinking water on a sunny August afternoon when temperatures reached 109 degrees Fahrenheit in steep mountains. Officials said today that they died because of the disappearance of the. ..
The deaths of Jonathan Gerish, his wife, Ellen Chung, one-year-old daughter, Aurelia “Miju” Chung Gerish, and their dog, Oski, puzzled investigators. The case involved more than 30 law enforcement agencies that carefully examined and excluded causes such as murder, lightning strikes, addiction, illegal drugs, and suicide.
Today, Mariposa County Sheriff Jeremy Breeze concludes that his family died from hyperthermia, a condition caused when a person’s body temperature is dangerously high after being exposed to hot and humid weather. He said he had attached it. It is unknown what killed the dog. A mix of 8 year old Australian Shepherd and Akita. However, Breeze said the evidence indicates that the dog “probably suffered from heat-related problems.”
“This is an unfortunate and tragic event due to the weather,” he said.
Breeze takes 45-year-old Jerish on a route along the popular Hite Cove trail to see wildflowers in a loop of about eight miles hugging the southern fork of the Merced River using a mobile phone app. Explained that he was an experienced hiker who planned. in spring.
However, three years ago, a wildfire destroyed many trees and many of the trails had little shade left. The family and their dog started hiking around 8 am on August 15.
It was about 74F when they started. However, as the trails went down and the sun got hotter, the temperature rose rapidly. By the time they reached the steep uphill section of the hike known as the Savage Randy Trail, Breeze said it was 109 degrees.
Authorities found the family two days after relatives reported they were missing. The family hiked 6.4 miles with their baby in a backpack-type carrier. They were only 1.6 miles away from the car.
The family had an empty 85 ounce water container. Part of the trail ran along the Merced River. There, water tests showed that it was contaminated with anatoxin-A, a deadly toxin produced by blue-green algae.
As a result, the Land Management Department has closed campgrounds and recreation areas along the 28-mile river between the towns of Brysburg and Bagby. But Mr Breeze said today there is no evidence that his family drank river water.
Breeze said the FBI was trying to unlock one of the couple’s cell phones, and authorities said it was “on track.”
“Our hope is that the phone will continue to give us more answers about the day,” he said.
A spokesman for the sheriff’s office, Christie Mitchell, read a statement from an unnamed family member at today’s press conference.
“I’ve answered a few questions and use this information as a way to help understand the situation,” Mitchell said in a statement. “Our heart never forgets the beautiful life of Jonathan, Ellen, Miju, and of course Osuki. They will be with us wherever we go.”
Sheriff says family on California hike died of extreme heat Source link Sheriff says family on California hike died of extreme heat