Las Vegas

Sisolak to have Nevada COVID-19 task force step back June 1 – Las Vegas, Nevada

Las Vegas, Nevada 2021-04-30 21:05:00 –

Independent via David Culvert / Nevada AP

In this August 3, 2020 photo, COVID-19 Response Director Caleb Cage is listening at a press conference with Nevada Governor Steve Sisorak at the State Capitol in Carson City. The Nevada COVID-19 Response Director said the virus tested positive last week after flu-like symptoms appeared last weekend.

Carson City — Governor Steve Sisolak appointed Friday to oversee the Nevada Coronavirus Pandemic Response, set to lift coronavirus mitigation restrictions, excluding mask obligations, after June 1st He said he would not meet regularly.

Caleb Cage will also resign as COVID-19 Response Director, return to the Nevada Higher Education System, and be promoted to Deputy Prime Minister and Chief Innovation Officer for Labor Development, the Governor and University System announced.

Sisorak praised Cage as “a year of selfless public services” and called Cage’s emergency management leadership and expertise irreplaceable to the state.

“The pandemic isn’t over yet, but as the situation progresses, the state’s response efforts will naturally shift and focus on mass vaccination of Nevadans,” said the governor.

Cage served in various state administrations for 20 years and was Deputy Prime Minister of the University System in March 2020 when Sisolak tapped him to lead the COVID-19 Mitigation and Management Task Force. He graduated from the Imperial Japanese Army Academy and served in the US Army in Germany and Iraq for five years.

The Task Force started a regular meeting in August last year. Sisorak said it would continue to meet until May while 17 counties in the state undertake full local control of COVID-19 restrictions.

In Clark County and Las Vegas, capacity limits will increase to 80% occupancy on Saturday and social distance will be reduced to 3 feet (0.9 meters).

Clark County plans to allow 100% casino and business occupancy once 60% of eligible residents have been vaccinated with at least the first COVID-19 vaccine. As of Friday, the rate was 45%.

In Washoe County and Reno, companies could be allowed to operate at full capacity next week if they have ample space and comply with the 6-foot (1.8-meter) person-to-person distance requirement.

The weekly COVID-19 Task Force call to the media will end in June, according to Sisorak.

On Friday, state health officials reported 510 new cases of COVID-19 and five more deaths. Since the outbreak of the pandemic, the Department of Health and Human Services has reported 315,438 cases and 5,464 deaths.

The 14-day test positive rate in Nevada, a measure of the number of people who returned positive to the coronavirus test, remained unchanged at 5.7%. The World Health Organization’s goal is less than 5% to ease restrictions.



Source link

Back to top button