Denver, Colorado 2021-07-22 14:50:30 –
Flowers are toxic and potentially dangerous to humans and pets.
The park and recreation department said Thursday that the city was temporarily closing Lake Sloan due to potentially toxic levels of blue-green algae in the water.
Parks and Recreation spokesman Cindy Kalbaski said in an email that this is the first time city officials have closed the lake due to a blue-green algae outbreak.
“We see algae every year, but this year is especially bad,” Karvaski said in an email.
According to an announcement from the city’s park bureau, this means that contact with water will be banned until further notice. This includes recreational activities such as playing in the water, fishing, playing in the water, boating, canoeing, paddleboarding, kayaking and other launch or motorless crafts. The city advises children and pets not to go in or near the water.
The city began posting signs about the presence of algae earlier this month. These signs have been replaced with closure signs that warn of outbreaks of toxic algae that may be toxic to humans, cats, dogs, livestock, birds and fish. The city says it will reopen the lake once algae have emerged and cyanotoxin levels have subsided.
Sloan’s Lake temporarily closes due to blue-green algae bloom Source link Sloan’s Lake temporarily closes due to blue-green algae bloom